• In the Spotlight:

if u were adamant about not letting your baby get the vitamin k shot and the eyedrops after birth did u really NOT get them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:11 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, I didn't - lots of women choose not to after researching it.

At about 5 days old my daughter had an oral dose of vitamin K - drops put in her mouth, rather than an injection.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 7:15 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I didn't get a say either way. My son needed to go to the NICU after birth to be monitored for a few hours and everything was done there without even asking me. I still would have gotten the antibiotic eye ointment though even if they did ask. After my cousin's baby had horrible conjunctivitis after only a few days old...I'd rather him have some gunk in his eye for a few hours rather than burning pain and discharge later.

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 7:17 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• My daughter was wisked to the NICU after birth as well (she was two months premature) and I refused everything. They can't just do stuff to your kid without your permission. Make sure that you tell who ever that your child WILL NOT be receiving any of that and if she does, you will press assault charges. It worked for us. They don't get to touch/hold/poke/prod/inject your baby, I don't care what kind of degree they have. Now we stick with home births.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 7:23 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Oh, and the eye goop is to prevent STDs in the eyes, not run of the mill conjunctiveitis.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 7:24 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• As I entered the hospital I was VERY vocal about what my child would not be getting upon birth. Don't be afraid to speak up mama! You don't have to request anything. You can deny anything, but do not expect them to ask you.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 8:00 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Never a problem after my births, but I didn't deliver in a hospital. It's not as easy to get what you want there, dealing with their routines & all.
    You can have a birth plan, a doula, a supportive SO (who stays with the baby at all times) to get a better chance at what you'd prefer, but it can still happen...
    Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:10 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I have very adamant about what happened after my second son was born. I did my reasearch this time. I seriously cannot remember if he got the vit K shot. I don't remember if my oldest got it either. I do know that he would absolutely not be getting the Hep B before we left the hospital. I tested negative and I don't think a 2 day old baby should be getting shots. He has since been caught up.

heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 12:45 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• They managed to talk us into the vitamin K shot, but we did still refuse the eye drops. Things were traumatic enough, he didn't need to not be able to see (not that newborns have great eyesight).
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:19 AM on Feb. 23, 2009