Do your babies have flat heads?

My friend had a baby in October, and she's always complaining that her daughter has a flat head. Now my son is about 3 months old and he doesn't have that. Could this just be the way her head is shaped or is it because of laying down all the time?

Born2BAMommy5

Asked by Born2BAMommy5 at 7:15 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My 8 yr old had a flatter then normal head imo but my dr said it was ok. I think it was bc he was laid on his back to sleep and so that will affect it. Maybe some kids more then others. My dr said that they had helomets kids used if they got too flat so I guess it can be an issue.
    Anonymous

• Its from laying down all the time, you child might get it too, it is very common and once they start crawling and sleeping in diffrent positions it goes away, yeah they might have a bald spot in the back or side of the head they lay on the most too, its normal
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:18 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Oh ok, cause my son sleeps on his belly so maybe that's why he doesn't have the flat head. And yes, I have noticed the bald spot on the back of his head from when he's awake and moving his head from side to side....
    Born2BAMommy5

Answer by Born2BAMommy5 at 7:21 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Does your baby roll over on his tummy? Babys should be put on there backs to sleep, tummy time should be for play time until they can roll over by themselves
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:25 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• No he hasn't rolled over yet. I slept him on his back for the first week and he hated it. He wouldn't sleep. As soon as I put him on his belly, he slept great. He had some gas problems so we thought the pressure on his belly would help with that and it did. Plus he was lifting his head and holding it within the first few days he was born, so he's fine.

I slept on my belly and I turned out ok.
    Born2BAMommy5

Answer by Born2BAMommy5 at 7:29 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Yes its from laying on their backs too often. I had my dd in a bouncer seat, on our couch or I was holding her if she wasn't getting tummy time.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 7:30 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• The vast majority of moms I know who put their babies on their backs had to deal with flat heads. I know one was severe enough to need a helmet.

I didn't. Mine slept on their tummies.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:31 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• My son had a flat spot from laying on his back so much. You have to keep in mind that babies skulls are still pretty soft. Now that he's on his tummy more and rolling around and everything it's getting better. Poor kid still has a bald spot though lol.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 7:39 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Yeah, it's from putting them on their backs to sleep. Mine were all belly sleepers, too, though --- so they didn't have it.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 7:42 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• If the babys head is flat in the back it's usually because the child is not given enough tummy time, they spend too much time on their backs.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 8:01 PM on Feb. 22, 2009