breastfeeding while pregnant

I breastfed my first child for about 6 months and then she went through a growth spurt and my supply was inadequate. We transitioned her to formula and she is one year and one month old now. However, I got pregnant again promptly after her birth (at about 5 months after her birth...whoops!) and even though my milk has dried up, now that I'm nearing my due date, my breasts are heavy and sore. I used the breast pump to express the yellowish-milky colostrum, which relieved some of the achy pain I had in my breasts. However, I didn't know what to do with this precious fluid! I ended up giving it to my 1st baby, since I didn't want it to go to waste. She guzzled it down like it was a treat and cried for more. My question is, is this bad? Either for my 1st baby or for the 2nd (yet to be born) baby? Am I "using up" the valuable colostrum that my 2nd baby will need for her growth and immune system? Will drinking colostrum at this poin

NikiDeaf

Asked by NikiDeaf at 7:31 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• http://www.babycenter.com/404_is-it-safe-to-continue-breastfeeding-while-pregnant_8935.bc

http://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/ask-heidi/breastfeeding-while-pregnant.aspx

It will not hurt you or your unborn baby. It will be beneficial for your first child. Do it.
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 7:34 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I know it is too late to tell you this...but your supply was not inadequate. Your body produces enough for your baby. Don't ever, ever underestimate your body. As long as you drink enough and take in enough calories your body can exclusively feed your baby for the first year and even longer.
    As for giving her B milk now. Yes it is fine. No it will not take away the colostrum for your new baby. Yes do it!! You will not regret it.
    Anonymous

• It's fine to give #1 this colostrum, or even to have her nurse if you choose. There is no limit to how much milk or colostrum your body will make, and there will be plenty for baby #2. For those growth spurts, it can be tough it keep up, but make sure you're emptying the breasts at every feeding at that point, which will stimulate more milk. It's good to have some pumped milk in the freezer just in case, to get you through here and there, but keep having the baby nurse to stimulate more milk. Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 8:37 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• NO, its wonderful to give to either of your children, it is THE BEST thing you could give them!!!
    Good luck with nursing this new baby, please though, if you need help or encouragement, contact a certified lactation consultant or a Le Leche Leauge leader before throwing in the towel, they are so incredibly smart and helpful....you can do it mama!!!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 12:22 PM on Feb. 23, 2009