The rule of thumb (from what I've seen here) seems to be - let your children see parents naked until such times as they start to notice different body parts (or lack thereof in the oppoite sex)... why is that?

I mean, if a toddler gets to 20 months and starts to notice his mom has different parts than he does - why should she start to hide them, or stop bathing with him because of this?
Isn't it just a good excuse to teach him general anatomy of the different sexes and go on as normal?

What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:47 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• I agree with you OP. I'm posting anon cause I'm sure I'd get bashed...but my 2 year old takes a bath with my husband. They have a ton of fun playing and such. She has asked on occasion, what his penis is, and we tell her...and she leaves it alone...and goes on playing with her toys. If you act like its something bad...its only gonna stir up more curiosity.

Anonymous

• Or a mom who used to breastfeed but doesn't allow her kids looking at anything...i mean...your kid doesn't know it was a boob he was eating from? You breastfed for 4 yrs and nudity is horrible?
    Almost hypocritical.
    Anonymous

• When they notice the difference is fine with my son it was when he started the "oooohhh I see your boobies" and knew that they were one of the body parts covered by a bathing suit that only parents and doctors should ever ask to see.
    Anonymous

• I think it's whatever the particular parents are comfortable with is okay. I mean, if you are comfortable with it that's totally fine, but it's okay if others aren't too. We all have different ways of parenting, and seeing things. If it's not hurting the child, then live and let live.
    Anonymous

• We are not shy in our house about nudity or the human body. We taught our kids their proper body parts from the age of babies and we let them run nude in the house. We bathed and showered with our kids until they were old enough to bathe themselves...usually about the age of 4. Nudity just isn't a big deal to us nor is it something to be ashamed of, hide, or be embarassed about. As a result, my 14yr old son is the only kid in his science class that does NOT laugh or snicker when they talk about the human reproductive systems.
    Anonymous

• I dont agree with adults bathing with children over about age three or children either.Just my opinion.I am aformer preschool teacher and curiousity tends to peak at this age if comes up state facts and move on.
    slyvester

Answer by slyvester at 9:24 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I always bathe my kids with me for the first six or eight months, depending on the size of the child. I feel more comfortable with them that way. After that, we just don't. Don't know why. probably because I want MY time back.

My nine year old has seen my breasts, recently I might add, because I just got done nursing her sister. She was like, MOM< I want to hang out with you, too! And I was like, EWW, I'm nursing!

And she said, and I will too, someday. checkmate.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:06 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Not sure if any of you have older children, ours are 12, 6 and 5... I think that every household is different in their beliefs, etc In our house we sleep naked, my hubby and I.... I keep our door closed at night, I don't think it would be appropriate for them to come crawl in bed with us and we're naked.... If they need us I tell them to knock, I think children need to learn respect for others privacy as I will them when they are older.. Our 12 yr old likes his privacy and I respect that... He's coming to an age where he feels a bit awkward and I think its all in how you approach it. We are very open with communication about sex, etc... Our bodies are something to take great care, don't take it for granted, whether its food, we put in it, excersise we give it, or who we will share it with when we fall in love, I don't think they will feel ashamed if they have to cover it... It's a matter of respect.......
    Anonymous

• I don't get it either. If they start asking questions it seems like the perfect time to answer the questions. Hiding makes them think they were wrong to ask and that the body isn't something you talk about, etc.
    Then again, my kids still run around naked and bathe with each other and they are 7-boy and 6-girl (my oldest won't bathe with either of them). They don't think anything of it.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:23 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• My dd is 12 months and my so and I walk around naked. I bathe with her occasionally. And I don't mind her seeing me. When she starts to notice the difference and asks questions they will be answered . My so doesn't want to be naked around her any more though for actually a funny reason. Jerzi tried to grab his male parts to help her stand up the other day. LOL too funny but that wasn't the question was it. I think it totally depends on what u r comfortable with and how u were raised.
    JerzisMommy

Answer by JerzisMommy at 11:15 PM on Feb. 22, 2009