How should I respond??

My husband and I are looking at buying a new bed. It's pretty expensive and we would have to make payments on it for like a year.
Anyways..
We were talking about it and out of no where he says "Well, if we get a divorce you're keeping the bed and that means you'll have to make the payments."

I was in shock and didn't know what to say. I just dropped the conversation.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:56 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Relationships

• Maybe he was just joking around with you. It seems like a pretty random thing to say if he were serious.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 7:58 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I'd say "ok" and buy the bed. He's not going anywhere. Buy the bed. It's a good investment. A bad bed can ruin your back. Then you'd be making medical payments forever not just for a year

Answer by admckenzie at 7:59 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I do not think he meant anything other than"damn this bed costs alot of money". if it bugs you let him know it kinda caught you off guard.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 8:02 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Hopefully he didn't mean anything by it? It's kind of an odd thing to throw out there though. Dh and I made an agreement that we will never jokingly or in anger use the word divorce. It's just not an option so we don't even bring it up. Maybe you should talk to him and let him know you'd like it to be one of those word you don't use so flippantly.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 8:04 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Sounds like a poor attempt at humor. Let it go unless he keeps saying stuff like that.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 8:05 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• It was an ungraceful thing to say, but if this is the only such remark he has made. Let it drop. Get the bed. At some point, I would say, "ya know, your comment about divorce the other day disturbed me. I don't know why you would say something like that." This is what I would say, and my husband would probably say OK, he won't do that anymore. But I don't know if this would work for you or not. I do find when something disturbs me that it is fair to my husband to tell him so.

Answer by Bmat at 8:09 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• my fiance says stuff like that to me all the time and we arent even married yet!! it used to bother me until each time he would get all upset cause it was just a joke. let him go...pick an extra girly bed and when he says he doesnt like it just tell him "oh well cause if we get a divorce im keeping it anyway" lol
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 8:24 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Best way for you to find out exactly what he meant was say yeah and if we get a divorce somebody else be helping me keep bed warm lol. Laugh it off see how he feels!
    1countrygal

Answer by 1countrygal at 9:31 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• In the early years my DH and I joked about things like that (divorcing). It's been 17 years! And every once in a while we still joke (not after our really rocky time!! LOL) But honestly I don't think he meant anything by it! If it really bothers you, you should tell him how you are feeling!

Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 12:39 AM on Feb. 23, 2009