I need help with our dog!

He keeps peeing and pooping inside of our house! usually in my daughter Alexis' room. We take him outside and he goes pee and poo out there, but then a little while later, he's in the room doing it! He's a 3 year old chiwawa/weiner dog mix....so my question is.... how do I get him to stop doing that? his family before us abused him, so I don't want to hit him or anything like that...any other suggestions??

ashley_savage86

Asked by ashley_savage86 at 8:10 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Pets

• i would talk to the vet
    nakita72

Answer by nakita72 at 8:12 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Put him outside in a pen.
    Anonymous

• I would put him outside, but we live in an apartmen, and nowhere to put him outside, unless we're out on a walk
    ashley_savage86

Answer by ashley_savage86 at 8:13 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• first off keep him out of the room, secondly hitting doesn't work anyways. Take his food and water to where he goes to the bathroom, and also make him lay there. Dogs will not go where they eat and sleep, and hes showing that dd is not really important. thats all I know hat has worked for me. rubbing their nose in it doesn't work at all.Has a major upset happened lately or has he always done this? somedogs do this when they are mad or sick so maybe mention it to his vet.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 8:13 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• What about shutting the door to her room? If that's the only place he's doing it, maybe just shutting the door would be enough to stop him.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:14 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Put him in a crate to crate train him an that way he goes pee an poo where he is supose to go! If your around you can take time an train him right!
    Anonymous

• Have you tried putting his face right at the "mess" and spraying him with a squirt bottle? It seems a little cruel, but I've seen it done, and yes it worked.
    BooHooMommy

Answer by BooHooMommy at 8:17 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• we just got him Feb 13 of this year, so maybe its because its at a new house? we're new to the whole pet thing...so any advice helps lol
    ashley_savage86

Answer by ashley_savage86 at 8:17 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• It could be his new surroundings. Some dogs have to go more often than others. When we are housebreaking a puppy, I always say it is one of the adults fault, the dog can't open the door. Punishing them normally doesn't work, you wouldn't punish a baby for regressing, which they do in a new situation.
    LoriW

Answer by LoriW at 9:39 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• first off, you need to shampoo your daughters carpets so he wont smell urine and fecies in there anymore. then put up a baby gate so you control when he does and does not go in there..alot of people will disagree but you need to rub his nose in it when he does it and then you need to emediately take him and tell him 'potty'. verbally give lots of praise while he's going Outside and then take him in for a treat. itll take a while, but thats what worked with my dog
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 9:50 PM on Feb. 22, 2009