Have you ever requested a mentor, for a particular field?

I'm looking to learn a certain field of real estate. The program I'd like to follow is a creditable one, but costs $997 which I don't have presently, but will within the next month. I'm a little anxious to get started and was thinking in the meantime about requesting a mentor. If I was to do this, how should I do it? Is there a certain site or format I could follow? I've pondered placing a craigslist ad but I'm not sure how I should word it....how much I should actually say about myself. Any positve suggestions? And please, if you're going to say something negative or immature, save it for the birds. Thanks :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:14 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

• I have a mentor at work. She has been in our profession for over 30 years and I really look up to her for wisdom and advice. I did not have to ask since it is part of our agency for more experienced staff to mentor the newbies. But if I were in your shoes I would look online and contact various professionals that are doing the work you want to do. Tell them that you are wanting to learn and see if you can do some volunteer work with them. If someone is truly a professional in their field they would likely love to be a mentor. I know in my profession it is actually in the code of ethics that we mentor others. I wish you luck!

Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 9:23 PM on Feb. 22, 2009