Hernia behind the naval....she will need surgery

My daughter is 6 months young. She was hospitalized at a month in a half and through much probing, she cried a lot and suffered a hernia behind her naval (stomach). She has an "out-ie" naval so when she whines it becomes ball-like. Docs said that if it didn't go away within a few months after she was released from the hospital, she'd need surgery. Is anyone familiar with hernias...the process of repair or knowledgeable of a hernia behind the naval?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:18 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter has one and has had it since birth. We've been to two pediatritions, one in AZ and one in OK. They both say give it until she's 4 for it to go away on its own. If it doesn't then surgery is needed. I wouldn't rush the surgey. It doesn't seem to bother or affect in anyway!
    StormyMama

Answer by StormyMama at 8:45 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• yes my dd had one to but hers went away around 2 months... my pedi told us to wait it out til she was 2 because they didnt want to put a child a few months old under for surgery.. just be patient, it may go away. i also heard about taping a half dollar down on it and after a while it goes away. i dont know how true it is though, maybe you can google it or ask some other moms.
    soon2bma

Answer by soon2bma at 8:55 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• thanks ladies...very helpful and much appreciated :

i'll keep the post a lil longer. maybe someone has a related but different story that will help as well
    Anonymous