Sleeping through the night

My daughter is going to be 8 mts tomrrow....how did you get your child to sleep through the night..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:23 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He was 15 months old and we stopped breastfeeding. He was sleeping through the night within a few days.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 8:25 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Heh heh heh...the infamous question.

Sleeping through the night is a developmental milestone. They do it when THEY are ready to.

There are things you CAN do just to give yourself the sense that you're doing something. **smile** Check out "The No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley.

Me? I watched my son's normal patterns and went with them. He was put down when he was sleepy enough to not fight it, and if he woke I tended to him. As he got older and able to "entertain" himself, he was allowed upon waking to play with a toy or look at books...he always went back to sleep with no trouble on my part. Still does that to this day and I'm fine with that.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:26 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Our six year old still gets up some nights...so good luck.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 8:27 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• 8 month? i thought all babys slept though the night when they were 8 months
    dawninmanch

Answer by dawninmanch at 8:28 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• My son started sleeping through the night at 6 weeks. I tried being consistent at the time I wanted him to go to bed and he eventually just did it on his own. It was lights off and calm time at 9:30. If he didn't sleep, he didn't have to but we didn't play or turn the lights on either. Finally he started falling asleep at 11, then 10:30, then 10 and finally he's starting to fall asleep at 9:30. I dress him warmly, feed him and then lay him down to sleep. He usually sleeps until 7:30am. Recently, he's started waking at 2am (on the dot) to eat and then go back to sleep. I think it is because of the fact that he's teething, the pain in his mouth doesn't allow him to sleep as soundly. Poor little guy.

My friend's 2.5 year old still wakes up at night and cries and wants to be fed. Kids do it when they're ready I guess lol.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 8:31 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• My son has been sleeping though the night since he was 6 weeks old also. I give him a bath every other night. But he usually will eat and then snuggle for a bit and around 9 or so. i will lay him in his crib with his nightlight on, and turn on the humidifer and turn on his mobile. And he will lay there and talk to it until he falls asleep. Usually within a half hour of being in there. If he cries then he is more than welcome to come cuddle some more, but he prefers to fall asleep on his own most of the time. He isn't breastfed either though.And he will usually sleep until 7 or 8.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 9:36 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I agree with gdiamante about The No Cry Sleep Solution, it's a great book, and really helped with our son's bedtime routine. Just be aware that "sleeping through the night" is only 5 hours, when you're talking about an infant. Be sure to read the part about sleep noises. Not every noise means that the baby is waking up.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:14 AM on Feb. 23, 2009