What the heck!!!!!?

My son just turned two in Dec. and hes still in diapers so I randomly just put him on the potty to see what he would do and he pushed his pee out and signaled to me that he was done and then when he got off I told him to flush and he did all by himself! Im shocked because I here so many others say that they put there children on the potty for 30 min. and nothing. Has this happend to any of you other moms? This is my first child so Im so proud of him! :)

LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Asked by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 8:28 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• First off, congrats on it being that easy for you the first time! It could be a number of things that made it easy though. Maybe you just had perfect timing and he had to pee :-) or maybe he really does know what the potty is for. Some kids, boys especially, are very interested in going potty and have no issues with it. My 2 boys were 3 and 2 when they potty trained (they did it together cause the 2 year old saw big brother doing it), and after the first time, they seldom had accidents. Then with my daughter, she took forever :-) ! She took a good month to fully potty train. IF it continues to be this easy for you, then YAY! Make sure you really praise him every time he does it, and don't say anything to him when he goes in his diaper, or say something like "Uh Oh, we had an accident. Next time let's try to go to the potty." If you make it a big happy ordeal when he goes on the potty, he will love it!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 8:33 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• It was that easy for both of our kiddos. It does happen.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 8:36 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• That's great! I hope it continues to go smoothly for you! Potty training doesn't work until the child is ready so perhaps you've lucked out and have one who's ready!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:49 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Great advice AprilDJC! I was so excited and told him good job and gave him a guh. Im not sure how bad he had to go though cause he was pushing really hard to go lol, it was really funny but Im so happy that he knows what to do with the toilet. I plan on leaving him in diapers still but asking during the day if he needs to go potty and then eventually work him into pull ups. My husband also said we need to get him his own potty. What did you do during the night when you were in the middle of potty training? Do I wake him up to see if he needs to go potty?
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 8:53 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I did the same thing. I got one of those seat things for toddlers to put on the big potty. I asked him every 30 min if he had to go potty and for 3 days he kept telling me he had to go potty. He even wore underwear. But then.. he showed no interest and now when i ask he says no that he doesnt have to go? I dont get it!
    JmgBlair

Answer by JmgBlair at 10:24 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• very good. i never understand why parents make kids sit there until they pee or poop. we all learned to use it, it will happen. i'd be beaming if my son was using the potty! whats your secret?
    m4m4

Answer by m4m4 at 10:40 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• CONGRATULATIONS!! I know that is a huge milestone :) I am the mommy of 2 girls (6 & 4mo) when my 6 year old potty trained it was so easy :) we showed her her potty seat ....she went we praised her then she didn't go near it for 2 weeks. Then she just started going all the time we let her do it at her pace & it worked wonderfully. I just hope my 4 month old is that easy :) lol
    sjlawrence356

Answer by sjlawrence356 at 11:58 PM on Feb. 22, 2009