Hives

Have any of your kids developed hives? If so, how long did it take for them to go away? My 18 month old DD had a reaction to something, who knows what, and she has kept developing hives all week. The doctor said it was OK if they weren't bothering her, but I just want to know how long they last.

madelines_mom

Asked by madelines_mom at 8:32 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• One of my boys is allergic to dairy so we've dealt with hives off and on since he was nine months old. I always keep benadryl in the house/diaper bag and when he gets hives we give him the doctor recommended dose. It usually takes 15-20 min for the benadryl to kick in and the hives are usually completely gone within the hour.
    I'm curious as to why your pedi didn't recommend benadryl.
    If the hives aren't going away she's obviously still coming into contact with whatever the allergin is. Have you switched laundry detergents/fabric softener/dryer sheets? Have you introduced a new food? A new pet??? I would ask about giving her benadryl and in the mean time, try to figure out what's triggering the reaction.
    Good luck!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:48 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I don't agree hives are OK if they aren't bothering the child. (maynot be a HUGE deal, but it is still 'something') Hives are the result of the body fighting something that bothers it/stresses the body/immune system, etc.

If there are hives, there's something in the body that shouldn't be. Something the body can't get rid of easily and it's coming out in hives. The body has to devote energy to dealing with whatever it is.

( try the Bendryl. And keep on eye on what is going on in your child's life if they show up again. detergents, foods, etc)

Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 8:56 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• No but my niece did from taking some atuff for a horrible bronchitis and her hives looked like bruises. It took a week to go away.
    kwazylisa

Answer by kwazylisa at 10:12 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I personally broke out in hives the other day for the very first time in my life. Let me tell you, my hives itched to the point of burning and I was in legitimate pain (My pain tolerance: I gave birth 3 times, all natural, no drugs, with one of my labor's being 18 hours, my hives were more painful). I would be giving that child some Benadryl. I took some and the pain and itch were going in 15 minutes flat.

If your child is continually breaking out in hives that means she is repeatedly coming into contact with the item she is allergic to and you need to determine what it is so that you can remove that item from your home and be aware of when you leave home.
    Anonymous