Can a 12 year old boy have kidney stones?

My 12 year old just came home from snowboarding and when he urinated, he showed me a very small drop or two of blood in his urine. No pain anywhere, no fever, no burning or "urge to go" feeling. His uncle (father's side) has a history of kidney stones. He said the same exact thing happened before a few days ago after he was snowboarding, and last night after he was helping me paint a room. It only happened once during the day, the rest are clear or light yellowish. Has anyone else experienced this? We are taking him to the doc first thing in the morning. Thank you!

dragonfly7271

Asked by dragonfly7271 at 8:44 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Health

• You never know, but the one thing you've said that leaves me to believe it's NOT a kidney stone is that he hasn't felt any pain. Typically the first sign is EXTREME pain on the offending side. I had my kidney stone about 2 weeks after I had my son and it was MORE painful than labor, getting an epidural, the c-section I had and it's recovery combined....it was pretty bad and I never had any blood. Kidney Stones run in my family and my father and grandfather both had them as well and also never had blood, just that horrible pain!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 8:52 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I have had 3 surgeries for kidney stones,and he is'nt having pain,more than likley,it is not a stone,sounds more like a bladder or kidney infection.I doubled over with pain,trust me ,worse than childbirth. Good luck,hope everything goes well for the little guy.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 8:59 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• They sure can. When my son broke his arm last year the boy in the bed beside him was there to have a stint put in to let urine pass until the stone could be removed. He started having trouble with them about age 9 his mom says.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 9:30 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Does he have any other symptoms....fever, back pain, more frequent urination, pain in lower abdomin or grion area, cloudy urine?

Is he on any medication regularly?

Sorry, I'm trying to think of anything else.....if I do...I'll add.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 9:42 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Thank you all for your answers. No pain, fever, or anything. He is on adderal for ADHD. No back pain or anything else momjoy. He seems fine. I am taking him to the doc this morning.
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 7:15 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• How did it go? My dd had to have a cat scan because of the pain she was in and it found a kidney stone. She was 12 also. It was horrible. She was in a lot of pain. Hope everything went okay today!
    shouldbsleepin

Answer by shouldbsleepin at 10:09 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• He had a renal and bladder ultrasound. We are waiting for the results. But right now, they can find nothing wrong. So, that's good, but again, I wish they could tell us why this is happening? I hate waiting for test results!
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 10:27 PM on Feb. 23, 2009