Can a 12 year old boy have kidney stones?

My 12 year old just came home from snowboarding and when he urinated, he showed me a very small drop or two of blood in his urine. No pain anywhere, no fever, no burning or "urge to go" feeling. His uncle (father's side) has a history of kidney stones. He said the same exact thing happened before a few days ago after he was snowboarding, and last night after he was helping me paint a room. It only happened once during the day, the rest are clear or light yellowish. Has anyone else experienced this? We are taking him to the doc first thing in the morning. Thank you!

dragonfly7271

Asked by dragonfly7271 at 8:53 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Well...in general, kidney stones are painful...tho I know its possible to have silent stones. My husband is in end stage kidney disease, so I'm fairly familiar with all things kidney. When blood is visible in the urine it's called gross or frank hematuria. It doesn't take much blood in urine to be visible tho. There are a lot of things that can cause this tho. Has he taken a hard hit to a kidney or to his back? He may not realize getting at his age hit hard int he back, you can hit your kidney. Usually when blood is suddenly visible, it's more something like infection or damage to the lower urinary tract...bladder, urethra or ureters. A really bad fall can cause injury to the lower tract. Your doc will likely take a urine sample to check on the spot. You may even have to have a CT of the area to check for stones, if they are suspected. He may even have to do a 24 hr urinalysis..continued below...

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 9:19 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Does he have any other symptoms....fever, back pain, more frequent urination, pain in lower abdomin or grion area, cloudy urine?

Is he on any medication regularly?

Sorry, I'm trying to think of anything else.....if I do...I'll add.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 9:23 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• One more thing....and this sounds stupid especially with him being 12 and most likely not eating this..but does he eat large amounts of beets or rhubarb? My husband said that can color your urine too.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 9:26 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• It is very likely he fell while snowboarding and injured his kidneys. Please make sure to ask him if he fell hard.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:12 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• He sure can have stones and sometimes men/boys have UTI's without sympotms, he also could have fallen hard. Take him to the doc to be safe.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 1:51 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• OP Here: Update - doc did urine tests (sent out to lab) and renal kidney and bladder scan. Now can only wait and see. Thanks ladies!
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 6:03 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I've had kidney stones and WOW do those puppies hurt. I hope it's not that.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:54 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Yes...know of one right now.
    heavenschild99

Answer by heavenschild99 at 3:42 PM on Feb. 25, 2009