Air Force or Military Wives...Advice PLEASE!

My husband is looking in to joining the Air Force. I am just curious to see how other women who live on base feel. Are alot of kids home schooled, b/c they are moved around alot? Are there little league teams and stuff for the kids to do? It is lonely living away from your family? What type of support groups are there for wives? i have no idea and I just need some advice.- Sorry its in just for fun, I couldn't decide where to put it.

4monkees

Asked by 4monkees at 8:54 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I'm Navy and I like living in Base housing..It's just that you pay your BAH every month for something you will never own....It's a deal for E4 and below but not once you start making rank. I don't know any kids that are home schooled. Everyone I know send them to public school unless you have a DOD school on base. You can join the base little leagues or out in the community. I live far enough from my family to miss them but it's only a 2 hr drive for me. The Navy has wives clubs and whatever shing my hubby goes to has a support group. I am on day 2 of our first deployment together, so I can't say much on the seperation from my hubby part. That's from the Navy perspective
    PunkinLPN

Answer by PunkinLPN at 9:02 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I can't speak specifically from Air Force since I am an Army wife...

homeschooling- you can, but it helps them to make new friends in new areas to be in school
    there are a lot of services provided on post such as leagues for the kids to play sports. Sometimes yeah it sucks being away from family especially when DH is deployed- but I like knowing I am strong enough to survive with just MY family (me hubby and kids). There are TONS of internet forums and even cafemom groups for support. If you are lucky, your unit will have a great FRG that will always be a great support system.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 9:05 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Hey, it's a living (Army Wife) in an ever sucking economy. There are good days and bad. Once you are used to the annoying things like having permission (him not you) for leaving for the weekend. And the chance that they can call you back from leave if need be (leave is vacation). There are good and bad things, as with everything, but he won't be getting laid off, and the insurance is good. Not to mention there is a lot to be proud of. Most people send their kids to public school (well, we have schools on post), but that is your choice. And, living on post feels safe and secure when you are in a place that you don't know. It is also comforting on post that other people take care of the maitenance, for us the grass too, etc. Well, God bless you either way!
    Tiffa-Knee

Answer by Tiffa-Knee at 9:27 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Thanks ladies for your encouragement.
    4monkees

Answer by 4monkees at 9:44 PM on Feb. 22, 2009