Do you let your in-laws/parents drive with your kids?

I do not allow my parents or in-laws to drive with my son in the vehicle. Some of them are better drivers than others but I want to keep it fair so nobody gets upset. Nobody else is allowed to drive my son other than my DH and I. I have not blatantly told them I feel this way, I just always find ways around it. We are moving closer to them and it will be harder to avoid without a discussion. Am I being rediculous?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:05 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• unless they are a horrible driver I would say you are a little bit ridiculous. My parents did just fine transporting me, they will be able to drive my kids.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 9:07 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• rolling on floorOh Honey.... at some point you will realize how ridiculous this is! This makes me laugh!!!!  You could just as easily have a accident and be hurt as anyone else on this earth!!!

Anonymous

• Yes I do. they obey the traffic laws. If they didn't buckle my kids or where known for speeding/wild driving, I'd not.

But grandparents are usually good about driving with extra care when their prescious grandbabies are in the car.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 9:10 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Are they bad drivers? Do they have a heavy foot? What is the problem? I don't get it.
    mommatime78

Answer by mommatime78 at 9:11 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I agree with Kiter....
    my2luvbugs

Answer by my2luvbugs at 9:13 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I agree,as long as they are good drivers,then,not really ridiculous,but over protective.You or your husband could just as easily be in an accident (I pray not),but if you tell them,you don't want them driving your child,it may backfire,someday you may need them to take the child somewhere.Let them help.I am going to be a grandma in sept,and it would just crush me to think,my daughter,and SIL did'nt trust me to take my grandbaby out to the park,shopping,etc.Lighten up mom.Trust me ,you will need the help. Good Luck.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 9:16 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Um, unless they are plowing headfirst into oncoming traffic without being aware that they are doing it, then yes, you are being ridiculous. As long as they are sane and not blind then it should be fine.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 9:17 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• They are all safe drivers with the exception of my MIL who drives like a mad woman. I dont even like to ride in the car with her and she doesnt pay attention to ANYTHING! My FIL is constantly telling her what to do (and she needs the guidance!) So in order for feelings not to get hurt (my DS has 3 pairs of Grandparents and 3 pairs of Great Grandparents) I have just not had any one drive him. (He has never had a babysitter either so this has been easy thus far.)....but as I see that I am waaaay outnumbered on this one, I may just have to lighten up a little bit. :)
    Anonymous

• I completly understand where your coming from. I am VERY particular about someone driving with my son and he's almost three. I would prefer my MIL not drive with him, she only watches him once in a blue moon so I have probably only had to worry about this like maybe three times at the most. Her car is not very reliable, she doesn't have a cell phone and she is a heavy smoker (of course not around my little one). I feel like it would be rude to tell them you just don't feel comfortable with only them driving with your child. I'm assuming you don't want to hurt anyones feelings. I would just make sure they know your nervous about anyone driving with him (this way it's not as personal) and make sure they are being as safe as possible. I think that's really all you can do short of actually telling them how you feel. It's nice to know i'm not the only over paranoid mom. And I mean that in a good way. That's why we are moms!!!!!
    Mommy0425

Answer by Mommy0425 at 9:24 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I see nothing wrng with just NOT letting the MIL/Wild Driver and allowing the others. Why punish the other grandparents by not allowing them when they aren;t the bad driver?
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 9:29 PM on Feb. 22, 2009