For women with PCOS: Can your regular OBGYN prescribe Metformin?

I have PCOS but wasn't put on Metformin because we were TTC and my Specialist went ahead and put us on Clomid. We did a few rounds and then took a break and were planning to go back to our Specialist this Spring, but we just found out we're moving Overseas so we're not going forward with more Fertility Treatments. I've been seeing my regular OBGYN since. I was wondering if he could prescribe me Metformin to help regulate my body since we aren't doing fertility treatments anymore. We just found out we're moving overseas very recently, so we haven't had a chance to discuss it yet, he still thinks we're going back to our Specialist to continue TTC this Spring... So can my OBGYN prescribe Metformin? Or do I have to see a Reproductive Endocrinologist?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• Absolutly, my obgyn is about to start me on clomid and Metformin togeather because we have been trying for 7 months. I have to go in for a sono to see how many cist I have on my overies or something. I think shes checking to see if I have PCOS, which Im not even sure what that is lol. Im a bit overweight but was able to get pregnant with our first son so hopefully thats not it.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 9:50 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• *Original Poster* Thank you... I have one child already, but we have been TTC our second for over two years... It wasn't until after I had my child that my body went out of whack and everything went downhill. PCOS isn't just for overweight people, though. I have quite a few friends who are in perfect body height and weight ratio and have it. But none of them are on Metformin.
    Anonymous

• Ummmmm isn't that a diabetes drug? I was on it for 3 yrs.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 11:59 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• It is also used to treat PCOS. Or rather, women with PCOS who have insulin resistance. PCOS can cause Type 2 Diabetes. Metformin helps control and regulate women with PCOS and help them regain their cycles and even ovulatory function.

And yes, your OBGYN was prescribe it to you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Sorry, CAN prescribe it to you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Thank you for answering my question as well.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 1:52 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Yes you can but the question should be, is that wise? Answer? No. A gynocologist really as no business treating PCOS. PCOS is not a reproduction disorder, its an endocrine disease that presents many reproduction dysfunctions but needs to be treated at the core, not the symptom.

All women with PCOS should be regularly seen and treated by an Endocrinologist or Reproductive Endocrinologist. If you broke your foot you wouldnt go to an Ear/Nose/Throat doctor to fix it - right? This is no different. Gynocologists should not be for the treatment of PCOS.
    PCOSinCT

Answer by PCOSinCT at 6:49 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• To the others.

PCOS is part of the diabetic family and which is why we treat PCOS like diabetes with diet, lifestyle and even medications.

PCOS can lead to Diabetes type 2 but sometimes even type 1 although not very common. A Type 2 can turn type 1 if the pancreas becomes burnt out.

Metformin CAN return cycles but not all women have success with that. While Metformin does treat PCOS at the core problem, the symptoms attitude varies patient to patient. It also depends on the doseage. If there has been no changes after at least 3 cycles on the full dose perscribed, you probably are not on the right dose for your body and need to make a revisit to the doctor.

About 50% of all women with PCOS do NOT have issues with weight. Weight is only a symptom of PCOS. Since PCOS affects each woman differently, each woman has a different weight issue or none at all.

Angi Ingalls; founder of PCOSinConnecTion.com
    PCOSinCT

Answer by PCOSinCT at 6:54 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• my ob put me on it and provera and clomid and i have pocs i had my daughter without being on any type of meds didnt even know anything was wrong with me until about 4 months ago we tried for 5 years to have her but i dont want to wait five more years to have another i want to have another one before i get in my mid 30s
    kymomma24

Answer by kymomma24 at 10:41 PM on Dec. 1, 2009