What is clomid?

I hear a lot of women on this website talk about taking this medicine but what is it used for?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:17 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• Fertility drugs.
    Anonymous

• Google it.
    Anonymous

• My obgyn explained it to me yesterday but its kind of complicated to me. Im about to start on it so I need to do some research my self but I dont get my periods monthly and sometimes will go 3 months without them so no period no baby and we have been trying for 7 months. Over all I think that clomid is supposed to help the brain send signals to your body to make you ovulate. It has somthing to do with your inciline and estrogen levels. My obgyn is also starting me on another medicine along with the clomid and I think its called Metformin. When there taken togeather then I think you have a higher chance of getting pregnant cause somwere along the line they work togeather. Good luck to you and hope you can get more info by actually researching it.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 9:46 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Clomid stimulates the ovaries, causing them to develop multiple follicles and (hopefully) multiple eggs. Not all follicles contain eggs, however. I did three rounds of Clomid with beautiful results, but I don't ovulate too well on my own, so I did this assisted with the hCG Trigger Injections to force me to ovulate when the follicles became mature enough, which was determined through constant monitoring.

Word of warning: If your doctor gives you Clomid and tells you to "come back in X number of months", find a new doctor. Taking Clomid does run you the risk of hyperstimulation in your ovaries, and you need to be monitored by a specialist.

Side effects are mostly just hormones... hot flashes and headaches. Though normally on 50 mg you don't feel a thing. it's when you bump up that you start feeling side effects.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 12:33 AM on Feb. 23, 2009