How concerned should I be about a heavy period that has lasted for 2 weeks?

I have been having all sorts of menstrual trouble since I had my son, with really long gaps between my periods. Well I finally got one, I have been having one for two weeks now, but today the bleeding is getting much heavier. (A tampon an hour, vs 4 to 5 a day before.) How concerned should i be about this?
I don't have insurance so I can't just call my dr. I was hoping someone had a similar problem, and could give me a word of advice.
Thanks Ladies

firstimemom4049

Asked by firstimemom4049 at 9:21 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Health

• 4-5 tampons an hour?????

Even one tampon an hour is a lot. I would be seeing a doctor.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:24 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Haha, I think she meant 4-5 tampons that day. One tampon an hour IS a lot,,,when did you have your son? I would just CALL the doctor or hospital....you don't need insurance to ask for advice.
    AidensMommy608

Answer by AidensMommy608 at 9:34 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• that happened to me , it lasted 14 days and was getting heavier, they gave me birth control to get it to stop, and i found out it was from my thyriod. you have to get a blood test to find out if your levels are messed up. now i have 2 take a pill every day and get a blood test once a year. other symptoms are feeling tired and gaining weight.
    mudgirl

Answer by mudgirl at 5:58 AM on Aug. 3, 2009