Sippy cup and Finger foods!

I am more than ready for my 8 month old to start drinking out of a sippy cup. I have tried 2 or 3. He is not interested. He may take a few sips if I hold it for him other than that he may just bang it around a bit. My question on this is, how long did it take for your baby to take to it and how old were they. FYI- he does not hold his own bottle.
Finger foods- I give him finger foods and he has no problem picking them up with his fingers but will not put them in his mouth. He just holds the food in his hand. I have showed him what to do many of times. Should I just assume that he will do this when he is ready? We have been trying both the sippy and finger foods for about a month now. Just wondering when he will catch on!

Scoobersmom

Asked by Scoobersmom at 9:22 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• on both counts... continue showing him and letting him play with them and he will get it when he is ready
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 9:23 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• its ok.my son is the same way and is 12 months. maybe u can buy the sippy cup with the soft sprout my son liked that one and knew what to do with it.as for finger foods he still doesnt put it in his mouth.my pedia told me not to worry some babies just pick up faster than others.
    Anonymous

• Same as both previous posters. He will eat the finger food when he is ready...it took my son about a week to realize that it tasted good if he put it in his mouth!! lol I've been trying the sippy cups for about 2 months now and he's just not into it. Don't force....he'll try when he's ready. Try different kinds of juice...I did and I found out that he drinks if its white grape and peach!!
    AidensMommy608

Answer by AidensMommy608 at 9:30 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I started my daughter on the sippy cup at 5 mo. (just for practice) and she didn't really get it until 7 mo. She is 10 mo. now, still doesn't hold her own bottle, but drinks just fine out of a straw type sippy cup. You should try putting a little formula in a sippy cup and when you give him his bottle, let him take some then switch to the sippy cup. It might help him draw the connection. Also...white grape juice is a big favorite! It is super sweet and they love it so maybe that will entice him. As for finger foods...I don't know what to tell you...I never had that problem. my problem is how to stop her from putting EVERYTHING in her mouth.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:29 PM on Feb. 22, 2009