I'm beginning a weight loss competention at work. What should I not do to gain muscle?

The winner has to lose the most weight on the scale. I know that if I gain muscle I won't look like I lost weight. Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:31 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Ditto the above. besides doing muscle training will help burn calories faster than just cardio alone. You will still manage to lose a substantial amount of weight even if you gain muscle. Most people are more overweight with fat than they are with the fat weight gone and muscle weight in its place.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 9:39 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• you have to gain muscle to burn fat, sorry.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 9:33 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• They go hand in hand. Maybe you could get your company to add some kind of "how many inches were lost." That's a much better indicator. But basically you need to burn more calories than you eat. So, do a ton of cardio and follow the Weight Watchers program. That will really help you lose pounds.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 9:36 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• you are better off getting the muscle - it will raise your metabolism and up your fat burning. plus it's unhealthy and your health is more important htan any contest.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 9:43 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• You actually gain muscle when exercising, you just want to make sure your losing the fat. I sell health products that support weight lost if your interested. It's nutrilite, fda approved and proven efficient. Let me know if your interested. :) ic.enterprises@yahoo.com
    Precious0317

Answer by Precious0317 at 1:09 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• sorry.. ridiculous! You don't want to lose weight so fast that you aren't acheiving muscle.. Muscle does weigh more than fat, but more lean muscle burns fat! Why don't you change your competition to include measurments? Those are the real test of weight loss!!! Take your arm, WAIST, hip measurments at the beginning of the competition and then take measurements when comp. ends.. See who loses the most inches!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:22 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• a pound of muscle burns more calories a day ( raises your metabolic rate) than a pound of fat. Hence you will loose more weight and can eat more the more musle you have!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:41 AM on Feb. 23, 2009