My 1yr old is biting and scratching

Zander is 1 yr old and he now is into biting and clawing at our faces there is no violence in the home and he screams at us and he seems to be sooooo spoiled but I have heard so many times you cant spoil babies I am starting to think that is a load of bull. Has anyone ever been through this when you sweet angel acts like a BRAT that I love more then life myself

sweetjessa

Asked by sweetjessa at 9:31 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My boys went through that too....You know what I did? I bit them back! Not hard but hard enough for them to get the picture that biting hurts! I didn't leave any marks but they stopped biting... the scratching I would smack their hand...again not hard but hard enough for them to get the picture.....

Well that is what I did with my boys....but that's just me. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• My 1 year old has started scratching for attention. When she doesn't get attention right away, she'll keep scratching. The best way I've noticed to distract her from doing so, is by giving her a hug, then redirecting her attention towards a book or something interactive. Your son may just be trying to tell you that he's bored and needs some stimulation.
    NAldinger

Answer by NAldinger at 12:40 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• My DD went through that stage also. I think it is pretty normal for toddlers to try to get a reaction out of us. We just started telling her, "Be easy" and "Soft touches" and then showing her what that is. Eventually she got to where it wasn't an issue. Anytime she starts to get rough now, we just have to say "be easy" and she is. Good luck.
    cassandrans

Answer by cassandrans at 12:43 AM on Feb. 24, 2009