Will we ever be chosen by a birthmom if we're not actively religious?

From what I've seen on most sites where prospective parents post their profiles, not being a practicing member of any particular faith seems kind of rare. I'm not going to lie about it, I know we're good people with strong values. But I'm worried about our chances finding a birthmom without an agency if we don't have that particular lable to get caught in their search engines. Maybe I'm the one steriotyping here, but we've never adopted before and I really don't know what to expect! Anyone have any experience with this kind of thing?

sixstringkate

Asked by sixstringkate at 9:52 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Adoption

• i have never been in this situation but if i had to give a child up for adoption i dont think i would realy look for someone religious, just someone who wanted to raise the child in the same manor i would if i was going to keep the child
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 9:54 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I agree with the above answer and I have adopted 3 beautiful children from Foster care. It has been a hard road but I would not have changed a thing. They are 11years,10 years, and 5years. they have been with us for almost 5 years now. I wish you the best of luck.
    Destiny10807

Answer by Destiny10807 at 10:07 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Thats actually surprising to me. I know lots of people belong to a faith, me included, but there are also lots of people who don't. Well, I hope you and your SO are pleasantly surprised soon. Good luck!

MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 10:08 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• We're atheists, and we have adopted 2 children. Keep on trucking. Don't lie. Be true to yourself.
    Anonymous

• Seriously, as a birthmom I can tell you that when I was expecting I was looking for people who were specifically non-religious, atheist/agnostic preference. You'll be fine!
    lillie023

Answer by lillie023 at 11:17 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• My husband and I were actively religious when we adopted and that made the birth mother happy, but after I read your question I began thinking of the other adoptive parents I know and I can think of a good number of them without a particular affiliation. I don't think it will really be a detriment to you being chosen.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 8:02 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Some birth moms might think that is a plus. It's a diverse world out there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• As a birthmom, a couple's lack of religious label was a huge factor for me in the placing of my daughter. As in, I wanted someone who shared my views. If they were religious, I wanted it to be downplayed, not something that dominated their lives. I was fotunate to find a couple who were agnostic, pro choice, liberals.....just like me : )
    randi1978

Answer by randi1978 at 12:18 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• we were actually picked because we had open religious views. but that's just our situation.
    JayGirlsMom

Answer by JayGirlsMom at 2:55 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• One of the reasons F picked us was because we were not religious.
    ameliasmama1026

Answer by ameliasmama1026 at 3:20 PM on Feb. 23, 2009