Why am I losing a ton of hair????????

Do you think I should be concerned? I'm 25 and the past couple weeks I am losing a ton of hair by the handfulls. Even when I wake up in the morning my pillow is covered in hair. I don't think I have changed anything recently and I take a multivitamin everyday.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:54 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Health

• Yes you could be just "shedding" at six months post-partum. You don't really grow more hair during pregnancy, what happens is the shedding phase ( thanks to estrogen) doesn't happen as fast ( or often) as it does regularly. This is why hair appears thicker and more lustrious during pregnancy. If it isn't pregnancy related it could be hormonal, stress or alepecida ( sp)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:27 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Did you recently give birth? If so, you'll lose a lot of hair.
    Anonymous

• Have you recent;y given birth? If you have then that is your culprit if not then I would call your doc you may need to have your thyroid checked.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:55 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I gave birth 6 months ago. Could it still be that?
    Anonymous

• Yes, it could still be due to the pregnancy. I'd ask your doc next time you're in but I'll bet it's the pregnancy.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:33 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Get your thyroid checked you can lose a lot of hair due to hyperthyroidism or postpartum thyroiditis.
    Fairy_Wings

Answer by Fairy_Wings at 11:32 PM on Feb. 23, 2009