I need some advice with traveling with a 9 month old. On a plane and in a car for 8 hours.

Is there anything I can give her so she can get a little sleep on the plane? She is 9 months and if you hold her for more then 5 minutes shes all squrimy and wants to get down and I know she wont be able to. I am taking her carseat if there is an extra seat, which I think there will be, we ae flying standby and as of friday there was 61 seats left on the plane. And I am so worried that I will forget something at home that is really important. I dont know what kind of toys to bring .... just everything, any advice would help

LuvsDanika

Asked by LuvsDanika at 9:58 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yep juice or milk in a bottle works great to relieve the pressure. it hurts em so much when they can't get rid of it. I don't give mine a soother either... with you there! oh and bring ALOT of diapers wipes and like tons of extra clothes. My daughter got so sick one time and threw up all over me repeatedly and went through like 5 outfits!! Just in case you never know!
    Googiegal

Answer by Googiegal at 10:10 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I would certianly NOT consider giving her anything to make her sleep. My goodness. are you serious? Simply keep her awake, or wake her up early so that she will be tired on the plane. There is NO NEED to give her anything. Bring her favorite toys that arnt too noisy. as well as snacks, books, paper and crayons. Dont worry too much. Plane rides themselves are exhausting so chances are she'll sleep at least half the plane ride even if you dont keep her up.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:02 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• ok wow! Have fun first of all... j/k. I traveled quite a bit on planes with my daughter when she was an infant. First try those ear plugs for kids I think they are called ear planes or something like that. Make sure you have water or juice in a bottle for him/her to suck at. A binky isn't enough for ear pressure. The swallowing is what helps them. I had to hold my daughter the whole time in my lap but if I could afford it I would have bought a seat for her car seat. She cried alot and wouldn't sit still. The lil' one might like for you to hold them up so they can look over the seat behind you too! worked well with mine!
    Googiegal

Answer by Googiegal at 10:04 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I wasnt exactly considering giving her anything, i just wanted to know if there was something i could give her incase she HATES it and is absolutly miserable. We are leaving at 6 at night and I know she is going to fal asleep probably 15 minutes into the car ride and hopefully sleep the entire time, so I know when 7 in the morning comes and we have to get on the plane she will be wide awake... I am just concerned that she is going to scream her head off and hate every part of it.
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 10:05 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I would be foods she likes.What ever she sleeps with you should bring to like a teddy bear or something.I would pack that bag wednesday that way you dont forget anything.
    Anonymous

• So just some juice and milk? Because she doesnt even take a soother so that would be out of the question anyways. I am really hoping they have an extra seat that I can put her carseat in, she likes her carseat and she might think shes just in the car, she always sleeps in the car
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 10:07 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• LOL anon I have already started packing it today
    LuvsDanika

• Thank god you told me that or I would have just had her one extra outfit, oh and do they usually have a change table in the bathroom? I have never taken notice
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 10:12 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• yep they usually have changing tables! Thank goodness right? But it is so tiny in the bathrooms lol you'll get knocked around when there is turbulence!
    Googiegal

Answer by Googiegal at 10:17 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• You don't need to drug your baby to get her to sleep. It won't be the most relaxing trip in the world, but that's just part of being a parent. My husband and I flew from Fairbanks, Alaska to Washington DC and then we had to drive for more than an hour with our 7 month old, so I know how tough it is. Just make sure you have plenty of extra diapers. We cloth diapered the whole way and so had to have a ton with us. lol. Can you fly overnight? That would make it easier if it was a time when you're baby would usually sleep. I also nursed my son during take off and landing to keep his ears from hurting. The pressure didn't really seem to bother him like I thought it would.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 10:55 PM on Feb. 22, 2009