Will my two year old be staying the night after a tonsillectomy?

My 2 year old will be having her tonsills and adnoinds out in a couple weeks. Being she wont be three till April will they keep her over night? If not will my insurance cover it if I request that they do? We live about 40 minutes from the hospital and my Husband works third shift with our only car. I am worried if there is a problem we wont make it there in time. I don't know what the normal protocol is for that type of surgery.
Also how will she act when she comes out of recovery? Will she be screaming or do they typically wake up calm? Please help I am freaking out.

Candy3

Asked by Candy3 at 9:58 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No they usually do it outpaiteint. She will be fine the day after, the day of she will be a bit groggy still.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:00 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Don't worry so much. She will be fine. I had my tonsils out at 22, and there were a ton of kids there the same day. I think most of them did better then I did.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:01 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• For young kids if they are tolerating fluids they should go home the same day :)
    BonJovilover

Answer by BonJovilover at 12:30 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• My son has his out last year, he did great. He was seven. I had mine out when I was five but that was many years ago and they did keep you over night. You can explain everything to the doctor and they may let her stay, my son slept a few hours then got up and wanted to play Wii but was not allowed to play yet (dr orders). He cried the next day because he wanted to eat food and was not allowed anything that was not soft.

Good Luck!!
    spunkymomof3

Answer by spunkymomof3 at 2:08 PM on Feb. 23, 2009