How do I get my almost 5 year old son to sleep in his own bed ?

My son will be 5 in alittle more than a week . He refuses to sleep in his own bed . Last year , my son had to have Chiari Decompression surgery . So yes , I admit it , afterwards we let him sleep in our bed . We were freaked out after the surgery. And so we let it slide for a year . I know it's too long . I admit my fault . But does anyone have any ideas on how to wean him over to his own bed without the temper tantrums and headaches ?

NaterbugsMommy

Asked by NaterbugsMommy at 10:04 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in About CafeMom

• You do your routine (it's deffinantly important to have a routine) and when you are putting him in his bed tell him what you expect. "i want you to stay in your own bed and go to sleep. I'm not going to allow you to sleep in my bed tonight. this is your bed and this is where you'll sleep". ...then love him and walk away. if he gets out of bed, put him back in bed. over and over again. eventually he will either stay bc he knows you mean business or he will be too tired to get out of bed. You may have to do this 3 days in a row so i suggest doing it on a weekend.
    Good luck!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:51 PM on Feb. 22, 2009