holding finger food

my 8 month old eats those gerber fruit puffs all the time (she has no teeth and can gum them) but when she picks them up to put them in her mouth she doesnt use the pincer grip (thumb and index finger) she uses her whole hand and shoves one or two in....is that normal? have any of your children done that? can she still learn the pincer grip, i try to show her but she has no interest

Kennadismom

Asked by Kennadismom at 10:18 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That is what my neice used to do, so Im assuming it is normal. Shes still young.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 10:21 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• It is normal. I think it is just the phase before the pincher grip. One day my daughter used her whole hand and the next day it was the pincher grip. (Trust me...you're in no hurry for the pincher grip....once she realizes she can pick up very tiny objects...every last string, leaf, piece of dirt, anything on your floor will be in her mouth!)
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:25 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• is normal. hands are small at this age and thats about all she can do. as she gets older she'll want to mimic you and do it your way. also her hands will be better in tune with her brain and can figure out that that can pick up too. hands are bigger too, so more ways to get things.
    m4m4

Answer by m4m4 at 10:30 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• normal for this age. give her some time and she will start doing it on her own, you can't teach her to do it just like you can't teach a baby to walk.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:40 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Its normal. Sometimes my 11 month old still does that. Don't worry she will get the pincer grip down.
    Anonymous