How old was your baby before you took him or her on a long car trip?

When I get my income taxes I desperatly need to go shopping. I have nothing that fits me because of the baby weight I haven't lost yet. And the closest decent mall to me is an hour away. I only get 2 days off a week. And dont want to leave him with a sitter because I feel like I dont get to see him enough as it is. But hes only three months old and I dont know how that would turn out. Cuz if hes hungry I cant feed and burp him in the car. If hes fussy, I can't cuddle him in the car. Any advice??? What age were your kids on longer trips, and howd they turn out? Hes a great baby, just not too fond of his car seat. He does tend to sleep in the car most of the time.

ashtonjames

Asked by ashtonjames at 10:20 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've been on the go with my kids since they were born. I just feed them before I head into the store and when I get back out if I have to. Shoot I've been known to feed them in the store too :)
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 10:24 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• An hour isn't long. She can easily sleep during that time. I took my 3 month old on a trip from Dallas to Omaha, NE and it took us forever. You'll be fine.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 10:24 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Oh and you CAN feed and burp him in the car. Stop at a rest stop/gas station and feed him in your car. It's really easy.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 10:25 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• The trip would only take about an hour, im just worried he will wake up and not be happy and i wont be able to fix it in the car.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 10:26 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• 4 months old. it was 780 miles. we've done that drive quite often and he's 11 months now. i also have a 4 yr old who has gone with us a few times.
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 10:26 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• We drove 1000 miles, over 2 days when our baby was 2 weeks old. My husband had military training and drove me home. Then at 8 weeks the baby and I flew back. As above, feed them before. Take at least one more bottle than you think you'll need. The baby may enjoy being out and looking at new things. Our son seems to love to go anywhere and look at everything. You'll be fine!
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:27 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• 1 hour isn't a long car trip. feed him before you go and there is no need to feed him until after you get there. If he's fussy- he'll be fine. plan your trip so you feed him and he's ready for a nap when you get in the car.

the youngest- I think 2 or 3 months old on a long car trip for Connor. (From Ohio to Colorado)
    They usually sleep most the time in cars at that age. It was actually pretty easy. A lot easier than when they are 4 or 5 and awake and bored most the trip.

It's good to stop every 2-3 hours when traveling with kids- and you can feed and burb him at that time.

Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 10:27 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• When my daughter was 2.5 months, we traveled(flying) all the way from Alaska to Missouri (without my hubby) to visit family and 4 days after getting there, my mom and I took her to visit family in Wisconsin on a 10.5 hour drive. I'm nursing, so it was a LOOOOOOONNNGGG trip, but she did amazing. I don't think you'll have any problem at all. If you really need to, you can always pull over and handle it, it'll make for a long day, but you'll still get to do it. Just take your time
    casperswife

Answer by casperswife at 10:28 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• how old is your baby? my son was 13 months when we made a 3 hour drive, had to stop halfway for lunch for him. we'd drove to grandmas house which is about an hour before this several times and he did fine. honestly when you do go, make sure the bag is packed...diaper is changed before you leave, any snack or drink has been had, i always take a cup of juice with me just in case. i've found that hunger and wet/dirty bottoms are the leading causes of grumpiness and to make sure those are taken care of closer to your departure is a smart thing.
    m4m4

Answer by m4m4 at 10:28 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• "The trip would only take about an hour, im just worried he will wake up and not be happy and i wont be able to fix it in the car. "

It happens sometimes. He'll be OK.
    and you can always pull of at a gas station just of an exit ramp if you need.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 10:28 PM on Feb. 22, 2009