my daughter is 3 yrs old and grinds her teeth at night,is this bad ?????should i consult a dentist???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:32 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'm 25 and grind and clinch my teeth. I never saw a dentist about it and now when I bite into food my jaw pops. I think it would help to get it checked. They could make her a night guard to wear if she grinds too much.
    momofpurebliss

Answer by momofpurebliss at 10:33 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• the dentist will tell you its fine my kids do it
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 10:34 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• My 4 yr old son , 7 yr old nephew, and 27 yr old brother all do that every night. It gets annoying sometimes but I'm learning to deal with eat.
    Buffie04

Answer by Buffie04 at 11:58 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I would definitley ask a dr/dentist. My husband didn't start grinding his teeth until he returned from Iraq and we were told it was a sympton PTSD . I seriously doubt your 3 year old has anything like that but I would definitley make sure there are no new stressors in her life that you are unaware of. Best of luck :)
    sjlawrence356

Answer by sjlawrence356 at 12:06 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• It's the same with my 4 year old son. He grinds his teeth everytime he sleeps. It always bother me. well, at least i'm not alone. I suppose I'll have it check with a dentist.
    angel_caramel

Answer by angel_caramel at 4:47 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• My 6 year old daughter does this. I did check with the dentist when I initially took her in at her 3 year old check up and he said it is quite common and harmless. It's very annoying to the people who have to listen to it but he said a mouth piece at this young age is not necessary and not really the safest course of action. He said she'll probably grow out of it, most children do. But I clench my teeth in my sleep and have tmj so I have had to be fitted for a mouth piece.

I'm 27 and my fitted mouth piece comes out of my mouth sometimes when I sleep. Sometimes in the morning I wake up and it's just free in my mouth, or sometimes it's lost somewhere in the bed. Because of this there is no way I would put something like that in my child's mouth...too much risk for choking.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 6:18 AM on Feb. 23, 2009