I think I am mildly depressed but I don't have insurance so I can't see a doctor. What are my natural remedy options?

I have a strong lack of motivation. I'm a SAHM and I dont want to cook or clean. My baby won't take a bottle (5 months) so I never get a break. We have 1 car so I don't get out much. Even when I can I don't WANT to be out amongst people. But I still have happy moments and all that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Health

• Most of what I had to tell you, everyone else has said...balanced diet, exercise, plenty of water, vitamins, sunlight. But, also it is good to keep a journal to get your feelings out or talk to a friend. Also, you can try an herbal medicine called St. John's Wort. It will take a while for you to notice a difference because it is natural and very mild. But, it really does make a difference. Hope it helps.
    Nicollynne

Answer by Nicollynne at 1:37 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• there aren't really. Talking to others helps a lot though so talk to your husband or your friends or your parents/siblings, anyone who you feel comfortable talking to.

try getting out in the sun each day, like an hour outside daily. the sunlight helps your body to naturally create hormones that boost your mood.

find the local Mental Health Clinic in your area. they are generally free or very small sliding scale fee if you qualify.

Anonymous

• Along with the girl above telling you the sunlight helps, taking a walk for that time and getting some exercise is the best natural thing to do for yourself. As far as your baby not taking a bottle, have you tried a new style bottle and nipple....making sure the nipple is faster flowing for a 5 month old? Just because you think or want them to use a specific bottle and nipple doesn't mean the baby likes it. I went through 5 kinds before ending on Dr Brown bottles, because that is what the baby ate best with and continues to eat best with. I used a bottle for a couple days before switching to see if they would adjust, btw. But deffinately get outside for a nice long walk!!
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:49 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Try exercising! I know that sounds totally lame and a year ago I would have rolled my eyes at someone saying that to me, but now I can totally tell a difference in my mood on the days when I don't exercise.

aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 10:50 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• OP here....Yes to working out. I woke up this morning and told myself to commit to 30 minutes to 1 hour of working out. So I started that today. I could get outside more. I just don't "want" to. But I realize I have to if I want to conquer this.

Anonymous

• And if you do want to talk to someone about it, call Catholic Charities. They have counselors that you can talk to and base the fee on what you can pay. I, for example, pay $5 a session and I see my counselor once every 2-3 weeks. It's been a big help for me in dealing with my divorce and my anger management.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:09 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Sunshine, exercise, laughter, vitamins (especially B vitamins), and a healthy diet.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 11:10 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I hated it when people suggested exercising but it really helps. Start with walking, get sun, really do add vitamins to your diet and do this for a month continually and you'll notice a change.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:30 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I agree--excersise is the main key. I also have been taking SAM-E for awhile & it does help me. I'm sorry for your down days--it can be difficult at times! I hope something out there will make you feel better real soon!
    hmkr38

Answer by hmkr38 at 9:03 AM on Feb. 23, 2009