How many naps should they have a day and when?

Do I need to make my 2year old lay down for a nap? She gets really cranky in the afternoons but resists naps. Should I make her take one or just wait till bedtime? Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:47 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my daughter gets a nap every day sometimes with me lol
    nakita72

Answer by nakita72 at 10:48 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• My son is almost two & he takes a nap for a hour everyday.
    Anonymous

• If she's really cranky in the afternoon, then she still needs the nap.

If you have shifted the nap time recently, shift it back. About 2 months ago, I moved my daughter's naptime 1/2 hour later and have had problems ever since. Half the time she goes to sleep with no probelms, half the time she fights it and won't. And even when she did sleep, it was only 45 minutes. I've moved her naptime back to it's original time (11:30) and she's doing better.

If you haven't moved anything, then put a light or some music on a timer and teach her to have a quiet time until the light comes on (or the music goes off). If she falls asleep, leave her. If she doesn't sleep, at least she'll get a quiet break and so will you.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:16 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• My son is 2 1/2 and he takes a nap every day in the afternoon. It's really hard for me to lay him down at home for his nap but at school they say he lays right down and he's out. I sometimes do what they do at his school. I put down sleeping bags (they use cots but I don't have one), turn out the lights and put on music or lullabyes.
    Mommy0425

Answer by Mommy0425 at 2:00 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• My daughter is 21 months and she naps each day from 12:00 - 2:30.
    rcbrown

Answer by rcbrown at 10:10 AM on Feb. 23, 2009