rotovirus help!!

i was visiting with some friends and it turned out that their child had rotovirus.All my child did was crawl around and play with some toys...the little boy had coughed, but i didnt think nothin of it...he had a temp of 104...what are the chances my son will get it? how does it spread and should I take him to the dr.? he hasnt showed ANY sign of sickness.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It depends on how well the other mom washes her hands after changing his diaper.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:00 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Wow why didn't your friend have him at the hospital with such a high fever. I would be freaking out. I dont know much about it. But you shouldn't be concerned unless you start seeing symptoms.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 11:02 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Don't worry unless he starts to run a fever and having diarreah. My dd had it about three months ago. It sucked.
    Anonymous

• well tshe took him to the er hours after we had left and thats how i found out.she called me and told me about it.
    Anonymous

• OH wow.You shouldnt worry too much. But the second you see symptoms you should prolly call the doc.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 11:09 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• rotovirus is very very common and only dangerous if you do not treat it. It is passed thru feces, so any contact with a childs fecal matter9diaper, hands etc) can pass it. It soes not have to be diarhea, it can be any kind of feces(tho they get it when dehydrated), keep your child extra hydrated and just watch. It cannot be passed thru any other kind of contact.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:52 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• well he wasnt playin with anything dirty(poop) the toys were brand new the floors were clean.Does that mean he 's in the clear
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• No it doesn't necessarily mean he's in the clear....if the other boy touched his poop and then touched something else, it can spread.

If the mom changed his diaper and then touched something else without washing her hands, it can spread.

The doctor can't/won't do anything if he's not showing symptoms. Just be on the lookout for the telltale poop/diarrhea (yellow and will STINK...oh, the odor) and vomiting. Some get a fever...mine never have.

If it's been two weeks, you're in the clear. Just make sure you start washing your hands, etc now...it's a good practice anyway.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:11 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• That's why I have my children vaccinated.
    Anonymous