Who has had a c-section due to a breech baby?

It looks like I"ll have to opt for a c-section for my breech baby. I had an unsuccessful version on Friday and the docs. (and my midwives) are pretty convinced this baby is not going anywhere. I'm still doing all my positions, etc. to try to get her to turn, but I doubt she's going anywhere. Her head is firmly in place. I'm opting to schedule mine, since after a vaginal delivery, a scheduled c-section is the next safest option for mom and baby in all situations. I am a first-time mom and not at all comfortable with trying to deliver a breech baby vaginally. I am disappointed, but my number 1 priority is getting this baby out alive. Who else has had a c-section due to a breech baby? I'd only like to hear from women who have been in this situation and not those who will tell me that I seriously need to consider a breech delivery, as that is not what I want at this point.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:42 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My son was butt first. The doc tried to turn him manually. All that did was hurt and bruise my belly. I agree with you, you need to do what is safest for you and baby. Good luck and message me if I can help further.

mndpfff

Answer by mndpfff at 11:50 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Try this first

ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 11:53 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I just had one 2 weeks ago for a breech baby. Having a breech baby vaginally is very dangerous for both you and baby. The c section was cake! I wouldnt have done it any other way. Im glad I did it. If you have any questions feel free to message me.
    tawnbond

Answer by tawnbond at 12:35 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• My son was breech and I had a c-section and everything went really well. My hospital and doctor don't even consider a breech vaginal delivery when I went into labor I was rushed for an emergency c section. They think vaginal delivery of a breech baby is much too dangerous. I had a longer recovery time and was didn't get to hold my baby right away because my body was numb and I had to wait til the spinal block wore off but other than that I didn't mind so much everything went fine.
    LOVE2bMOMMY525

Answer by LOVE2bMOMMY525 at 10:35 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• My son was breech and it was not even an option to try to deliver vaginally. Everything went fine but he was in there like a cork in a bottle. The doc said there was no way an inversion would have worked. I have not really heard of a vaginal delivery of a breach baby. They will do one last ultra sound before surgery just to make sure the baby has not turned at the last minute.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:08 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I know you dont want my reply but I cant sit here and not say anything after reading BLATANT LIES. A breech vaginal birth is not "Much to dangerous" for the baby. It is just a variation of normal. What is "much too dangerous" is giving birth with a trained surgeon, especially if the baby is breech, as the trick to a breech birth is to be patient and not rush or interfere and lord knows an OB can't handle that! Please women, do some research before you spread misinformation. Just because your doctor says it, doesn't mean its true!
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 2:04 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• For the record, tanyaR, I do not use an OB, but 4 midwives. Even the midwives recommend a c-section in my case, as I am a first time mom. One told me of assisting at a vaginal breech delivery in which the baby ended up being forcibly pulled through the pelvis and came out having seizures. Believe me, I was very gung-ho about going natural all the way, but I am certainly not going to take an unnecessary risk because of the principle of the matter. My health and birth experience comes second to my child's well-being and no amount of research has shown that a vaginal breech delivery in a first-time mom is safer than a planned cesarean section. Trust me, I have a Master's in Information Science and am well versed in conducting research. go ahead and look it up, you will not find anything saying this is the case.
    Anonymous

• Well as you are such an educated woman, I'm sure you realize the HUGE difference between CNM's and CPM's. CNM's are very medically minded 'mini-OB's'. It is irrelevant whether you are a first time mom. I don't have time now, but later I will show you research studies showing the safety of breech vaginal. A c/s carries a 400% increased risk of death for the infant in the 1st year. Could a breech vaginal really be more risky than that? A homebirth midwife would have no problem at all attending your breech vaginal birth. A CNM or OB is not skilled in that area. They are trained surgeons. Surgery is what they know.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 4:00 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Yes, I know the difference btwn midwives, thanks. Your statistic is misleading, as it doesn't account for the fact that most premature babies/babies with serious problems or health problems in the mother are born via c-section, e.g., a baby born 12 wks early will be born via c-section, not vaginally, and it would have been the problem that caused this baby to be born early that caused his/her eventual death, not the c-section. To skew that statistic and say that it is somehow c-sections in and of themselves that cause the such high infant mortality rates is to assign causality where it does not necessarily belong.
    Anonymous