My Step-son is having trouble sleeping in his own bed....

My step-son has done very well since Aug. when we made him & his sister sleep in their own room (before we moved they shared a room). We had to get firm with him, but he did well. Then when his mom moved into a new house, he started having nightmares at her house. The week he started having nightmares at her house, he would still be scared when he came home. So, we had to reassure him that he was safe, that i heard just about everything that happened in the house, etc. We told him that spiderman came alive off his blanket and protected him. This and our vigilance keeping him in his own bed helped him get back to normal. However, he is starting to sneak into his sister's room again. There was a wind storm a week ago that shook his window really badly. I have been trying to get him comfortable again. He is 4 almost 5, but I am not sure what else to do to help him sleep better at home and at his mothers...

aly38914290

Asked by aly38914290 at 11:57 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think that part of the problem is that children have a very active imagination. Any little noise or light might make them think of something that is scary to them. (I had quite an imagination at that age and some things scared me until I finally told someone what was scaring me. They would show me what it was or explain it to me. Sometimes, it would work and, sometimes, it didn't.) My ds was scared of bad storms. At the time, we lived in Florida. Whenever, there was a lighting storm, it scared him because lightning would strike somewhere close by. It makes a really loud boom. His big bro. and I sat down and explained what caused lightning and the noise. We then counted the seconds between the flash and the thunder. Sometimes, he would imagine that there were monsters. I would spray something that was pleasant to him where ever he thought there was a monster. It helped him to stay in his bed and in his room.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 1:00 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Contd.
    I would even read a story to both of my sons in the hopes that it would help them think of more pleasant things and relax them.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 1:05 PM on Feb. 23, 2009