My step-son is having trouble sleeping in his own bed.....

My step-son has done very well since Aug. when we made him & his sister sleep in their own room (before we moved they shared a room). We had to get firm with him, but he did well. Then when his mom moved into a new house, he started having nightmares at her house. The week he started having nightmares at her house, he would still be scared when he came home. So, we had to reassure him that he was safe, that i heard just about everything that happened in the house, etc. We told him that spiderman came alive off his blanket and protected him. This and our vigilance keeping him in his own bed helped him get back to normal. However, he is starting to sneak into his sister's room again. There was a wind storm a week ago that shook his window really badly. I have been trying to get him comfortable again. He is 4 almost 5, but I am not sure what else to do to help him sleep better at home and at his mothers...

aly38914290

Asked by aly38914290 at 11:58 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I got my boys an animal flashlight, it helped so much. It didn't shine bright just enough, they didn't have to turn it off because to turn it on you just opend the mouth. Once they were sleepy they would let go anf fall to sleep... They are made by fisher price, I got them at Wal-Mart. GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• You and his BM have to be on the same page. Whatever you decide to do make sure it's something that BM can or will do too. Other wise it will be very difficult. Good luck!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:59 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Maybe a dream catcher. I told my son that it caught all his bad dreams before they enter his dream. We would go out every morning and shake the dream-catcher to send the bad dreams away. I also told him that his dreams are magic and that if a bad dream did escape than he could bring mommy in to his dreams and kick the bad guys butt. I also told him that he has magic powers in dreamland and can do anything.... fly, turn in to Hulk .... Hope this helps. Oh yeah I also got him a nightlight and that helped. Good luck!

mndpfff

Answer by mndpfff at 12:04 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• here are home, he doesn't have a nightlight, but we leave his door open and the light in the hall on. it shines really well into his room. and at his mom's she told me that he had 2 night lights and one that even changed colors (i thought the changing colors might actually bother him...but i don;t know...)

thanks for the dream catcher idea. if anyone else has other ideas we are welcome to them. his mom thought that she shouldn't make him sleep somewhere that he doesn't feel safe, but a part of me thinks that a part of the problem is actually just him trying to reassert his "baby"-ness at his mom's since he isn't the baby at our house anymore. i try to make becoming a big boy something to be excited about and happy about, but i think his mom sometimes rewards him for acting like a baby....He is her last baby (she had a historectamy (sorry sp?)....so i think she is having a hard time with him growing up....
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 12:14 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I like the flashlight idea. I also gave the stuffed animal an extra hug, in case DD needed it in the middle of the night.
    However, 4 almost 5 isn't very old to expect that he always stays in his bed.
    Rewards always worked better for my kids than punishments.
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 6:30 PM on Feb. 23, 2009