• In the Spotlight:

my son is turning 13 and need your suggestions on what to do for a b-day party?

Goldenbrowny

Asked by Goldenbrowny at 12:16 AM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• when i was younger my mom always let us sort of pick. we couldnt do everything we wanted, but you do the best you can. i would ask him. he probably has some ideas of his own.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:01 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Laser tag, paintball, theme park, bowling, Dave & Buster's or Jillian's?
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:23 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Go carts,putt golf lazer tag..something like that maybe
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 12:23 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• For my sons 13th we turned our (small) living room into a "club" and let him have a boy/girl party they were also into DDR so we had that in the room, changed out the ceiling lights with black and blue bulbs, got a bunch of glow necklaces and bracelets, a small disco ball from toys r us tons of snack food. My son made a mixed CD before hand and we planned to just let that play however I ended up playing DJ because they kept thinking of songs he left off the CD! Our kitchen is open to the livingroom so DH and I along with one of his friends moms were in view the whole time but since we were close to the radio we couldn't hear everything they said so they didn't feel like we were invading the party. Oh for games I got Twister- they had sooooo much fun and just to be a smarta$$ I got pin the tail on the donkey at the $1 store- they LOVED it!
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 7:55 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• what does he want? my boys (all around that age) always just want Pizza and to watch a Movie and have a slimber party.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 3:13 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Depends on where you live. If you live in a warm climate, you may want to have boys come to your house to meet up. Then send them all down to the local park to play basketball or football. Then back to your house for pizza and cake. For an extended party, have a sleepover. If you're over it then send kids home. At age 13 they want to be on their own to have a little taste of freedom even if it's hard for the mom because he's still your little boy and you want a bouncy and goodie bags (don't do it). Good luck!
    lizrider

Answer by lizrider at 3:35 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• At 13 they can be tempermental. Ask him what he would like

Answer by admckenzie at 6:49 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• For my son's 13th bday (he's 15 now) I went to used toy store in our area and bought several (3 or 4) laser tag sets...each one had the 'get up' for 4 people...and he invited just about every kid in the neighborhood over, we had a barbecue, and at dusk they went out and played 'manhunt' with laser tag stuff...they had a BLAST...pretended they were FBI agents...it was hilarious...and it was a great chance for all the parents to come over and have a glass of wine in the back yard...!

Because 13 is such a huge achievement (at least my son thought it was!) I'd say let them have a say in what they want to do...if they pick hugely expensive or outrageous ideas, then compile a list and let them choose...the independence of knowing they got to pick what they did for their bday will be more important (imho, of course) than what they actually do.

hope that helps..

cj
    cjluvsu

Answer by cjluvsu at 7:23 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Ask him what he wants... I think past the age 9 or so. Kids should have a part in deciding .. Ask him for 3-4 options & discuss them with him (money, girls, ect)

When I turned 13 we had a boy/girl party at my house.. about 15 people came there was music on & we just hung out, ate....
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:24 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• He has decided on inviting some friends to go play paintball. Thanks for all the suggestions!!!
    Goldenbrowny

Answer by Goldenbrowny at 4:55 PM on Feb. 25, 2009