politics at the Oscars...

Sean Penn, winner of Best Actor Award for the film "Milk", remarked after receiving the Oscar that he hopes those who supported Prop 8 will feel shame, that their grandchildren feel shame at what they have done. Forgive me, i have not yet found a link with his exact words, but from what little i can remember, i found the remark a little too venomous to be in good taste.

True, there are those who hate. really, is there anything you can do to cure that? try love, maybe forgiveness? I myself think the ban was bogus. however, I think supporters of Prop 8 want to protect the sanctity of marriage. I don't think it will ever be agreed on in legal terms for all, when its interpretation lies at the pulpit(s). I think we all should be allowed legal unions recognized in all states, and keep the "M" word in the churches.

to wish shame on people and their offspring comes across, IMO, hateful, spiteful, and counterproductive. thoughts?

chickenhobbit

Asked by chickenhobbit at 1:52 AM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Sean Penn is a nutcase.
    Scorpio359

Answer by Scorpio359 at 1:56 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• when was the Oscar's???
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:57 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• did angelina jolie win for changeling?
    Anonymous

• I see your point. I don't know why we need to take marriage away from those who don't have religious ceremonies. Marriage really has nothing to do with religion. It is a cultural idea. My husband and I had a secular wedding.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 1:58 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Oh and I love Sean Penn. And Milk was one of the best movies I have ever seen.
    jcsscfam5

• That's funny, he wished shame not only on those who are so hateful, but also their future generations! LOL Sounds a lot like the god of the Bible ... punishing generations of people for what their ancestors did. LOL!!!!!!
    indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 2:22 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• People who don't want marriage to be changed away from "1 man & 1 woman" are NOT hating gays !! Using the accusation of hatred is just a club to shut people up.

In the not-too-distant past, America has rejected other variations of marriage - some groups wanted to have 1 man & several women, communes wanted plural men & women. These arrangements were rejected, and not because of racial hatred or something.

I have always been in favor of gay couples being able to have legal rights like other couples. The right to civil unions should never be denied.

I have yet to find an explanation of the concrete details on why a civil union, granting all the same legal rights as a marriage, is insufficient. What do gay couples need to do that a civil union is not enough ... that requires a marriage certificate? Is it just a matter of feeling accepted by a church and married in a church??
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:43 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• What is wrong with everyone voting the way they feel and what they believe in? We are allowed to have our own opinions, that is why we vote and we voted on this twice in California.
    For an actor to tell people that they should feel shame is dumb, who does he think he is anyway?
    coutterhill

Answer by coutterhill at 2:55 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Sean Penn can say whatever he wants, Free Country.  My opinion~Celebs should choose an appropriate platform to make your stand.  A social event, a concert where people came to hear you perform, not rant(Streisand, Dixie Chick) is lacking in class. jmo...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:15 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I knew there was reason I didn't want to watch it, I didn't like Sean Penn that much to begin with now I have no respect for him at all.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 7:32 AM on Feb. 23, 2009