we're a nation of cowards...

...because we don't talk about race issues enough. here's a link, but you can google the title and find plenty of articles concerning Attorney General Holder's comment.

http://www.startribune.com/politics/39785897.html

well, i think there may be a significant array of reasons for that. some people choose to ignore it. some choose to look beyond it. and some, like myself, will discuss it, and often get a severe backlash and get called racist just for bringing it up. i think in some regards he is right that it doesn't need to be shushed and hidden away like it doesn't exist. but i've also chosen to avoid the topic because i know it'll greatly offend SOMEbody and get me hurt in the process, a method in self-preservation. but according to the Attorney General that is being "cowardly".

damned if you do, damned if you don't!

feedback, por favor. muchas gracias!

chickenhobbit

Asked by chickenhobbit at 2:06 AM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• i dont see a problem in discussing race, its just ignorant people saying mean things i dont like (not you, and no one i've met on here but KKK type people ;])
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 2:16 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• OH for the love of Pete, I should spend my weekends with people I have nothing in common with because the AG thinks I don't think enough about racial issues? Give me a break. My weekends are MY time and I will spend it with whoever I want doing whatever I want (or, at least doing whatever my kids want me to do!). Don't try to guilt trip me because my primary concerns regarding social issues is focused on MY family.
    I have an integrated workplace, but guess what - I don't spend my weekends with the white people there, either. I spend them with dh, the kids, the laundry, and the dog, and I don't apologize for it, and I sure as hell don't feel the need to justify it to the AG.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 5:41 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I live in a diverse neighborhood and we ALL have no problem talking about ANYTHING. What I find interesting? Obama made fun of and publicly ridiculed Phil Gramm, who said "We[leaders/lawmakers] were a Nation of Whiners" for politicians complaining about the recession and not being fiscal responsible themselves. The press and Obama took out the reference to lawmakers and made it out to be the entire nation before he said:

Obama said, “You know, America already has one Dr. Phil.,” But ohhh wait, Holder can play Dr Phil and say we are a Nation of Cowards? Perhaps another apparent acceptable Double Standards?

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:53 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I think that a lot of Americans are not educated on HOW to talk about race. There is a certain amount of sensitivity and compassion that is needed to have this discussion. A lot of people think that they are being forced to be "PC" and that they should just be able to say what ever they want. Which is partially true and partially a misconception of the point. You ahve to be open to the other point of view and so many people are not. When Obama said in his race speech that he can not dismiss Rev. Wright just as he can not dismiss his own white grandmother who still grabs her purse he was making a valid point about how race is dealt with in the privacy of one's own circle but was critisized for "throwing his grandmother under the bus." We need to mature as a nation to be able to have this dialog in any real progressive sort of way.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:29 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• WHO CARES ABOUT PC!? I don't! The way I look at it, just be DECENT to a person, regardless of their skin color. If you have to resort to a script just to talk to another human being, you have issues.

If you and a person of different background, parentage, etc, talk about things and disagree...GREAT! You disagree. It's one PERSON disagreeing with another PERSON! I have NEVER worried about what a person LOOKS like or where they come from. But then, my parents raised me to deal with people for WHO they are, not what they look like or how they brush their teeth.
    Gypsy98

Answer by Gypsy98 at 7:45 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Rev Wright's words should be the example to discuss of what is racist and not appropriate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:55 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Anon:Rev Wright's words should be the example to discuss of what is racist and not appropriate.

I agree. He has quite a few video/audio quotes that are perfect examples of racism in America today. I wouldn't consider his words mature dialogue regarding race. Unless you are discussing what IS a racist remark.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:19 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• It's not that we are a nation of cowards, but in some ways we are deeply divided. Blacks think whites don't care or are not sensitive to their feelings. Whites feel they are unfairly being forced to feel guilty for injustices of past generations. Both positions have a grain of truth to them, but we are so afraid of offending someone, we don't discuss it, and now the AG calls us cowards for avoiding it.
    Well I've got enough courage to tell the AG he's full of it, and if he feels Americans should discuss race, he can tell us how we can do it without hurting each other's feelings unintentionally.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:19 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Nobody is nastier and more critical of a black woman than another black woman. How do you have a discussion when the people in the discussion can't even agree amongst themselves what their point of view is?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• The more people like him try to separateus will never be the human race, just a world of different races. The continued use of words like his does nothing but create segregation and indifference. He should be ashamed of himself.

TinasTribe

Answer by TinasTribe at 9:02 AM on Feb. 23, 2009