bringing my son on an airplane CONT'D...

do any of you who have flown with your children before bring your own car seat or do you just let them sit in the regular seat?

exxOHjackie

Asked by exxOHjackie at 2:14 AM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't do carseats, it's too much to carry through the airport, especially since most of the time I am traveling with her alone.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 2:15 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I agree with the first response. It would've been hell if i would've tried to bring a carseat.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:17 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Just in case no one has mentioned this to you, bring with you something for him to eat or drink so that he swallows at the time when the cabin pressure changes and everybody's ears are "popping". Young children don't know how to handle this by themselves, so you need to help him do some swallowing to prevent pressure in his ears, which can get painful.

Best wishes !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:31 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I am a flight attendant and mother of a three year old. I have noticed that most of the time if a child is in a car seat he/she sits well because they are used to sitting for long periods of time in the car. They are less antsy than that child that is not in a seat. Also you'll have your car seat with you when you arrive to your destination.

It kinda depends on your child. If your kid is a wanderer and you know he will want to travel down the aisle, I'll say bring the seat. It may be a pain, but it'll be worth it for a peaceful flight.

If you are not worried about your child becoming antsy then he will be safe sitting in your lap or strapped in. Be sure to bring entertainment. Go to a dollar store and buy some new toys or books that he has never seen and pull them out one by one to hold his attention. Happy Flying!
    actress

Answer by actress at 2:44 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• thanks for asking this question!! We're getting ready to take a trip too, and it will be a long flight with at least one stop... i didn't want to take my carseat if i didn't have to, but I didnt know if that made me a bad mom or not!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:36 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• My husband, 2year old, and i just took our vacation and was on numerous plane rides. We didnt bring his car sear bc we had enough stuff to carry lol He did really well sitting on mommy and daddys lapand staring out the window
    Mommy31107

Answer by Mommy31107 at 8:34 PM on Feb. 25, 2009