What do you think of "Designer" or "Hybrid" breed dogs ? And their price tag...

About a year ago all the ads in the paper were for "designer" breeds, today I saw an ad for a "hybrid" breed (the dog was poodle, bichon (sp*) and maltese) and they wanted $350 each. Now in my opinion that's just a mix-breed, no better than a mutt or Heinz-57. And there's no way I'd pay that kind of price for a mutt. Do you believe the designer or hybrid is any different than just regular old mix-breeds?

PaceMyself

Asked by PaceMyself at 2:17 AM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Pets

• I don't think any mix should be that expensive.

Just adopt a dog...
    BatGirl1415

Answer by BatGirl1415 at 5:26 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I do think that the "designer breeds" are different than mutts, because they are a mix of two purebreds, so you are getting characteristics of the two breeds. A typical mutt is a bit of this, a bit of that, and you don't really know what you're getting or where it came from. I don't see why they should cost too much less than a purebred, because the parents are pure and there is a market for the dogs. I want a sheltie, and when I get one, I'm going to pay a lot for a well bred dog, I think you can get a well bred designer dog, and I think that's what they're paying for. That's just my opinion. I think the hybrid dogs are a little out there though.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 2:20 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• They are mutts plain and simple
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 4:45 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I Would Not Pay That For A Mutt JMHO. I Mean A Three Way Mix Is Completely Uneven, There Is No Way It Could Be Exactly 33.3% Of Each Breed So Its A Mutt. Even Half Breed's Are Still Mutts They Are Designer Yes BUT Its Not Like They Could Be Show Dogs Or Anything So They Aren't Worth The Price. (Not That I Think Pure Breds Should Be Show Dogs)
    Kari_Noelle

Answer by Kari_Noelle at 5:06 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• A half-breed dog is a mutt. Any way you want to dress it up, it's still a mutt. A 3-way breed is a total mess and there is no way of knowing how much of which breed went into this animal's genetics. The ONLY way to be certain that your dog is exactly half and half is if he is first generation cross bred. After that there is no gurantee how much of each breed is passed on from each parent at any one breeding. Therefore second and subsequent generation breedings are simply mutts. Lovable, but mutts. No, designer dogs cannot be show dogs, but neither can 90% of purebreds. Some mixed breeds can compete in training, agility, utility dog, open hunting, and certain other competitions that value brains over beauty. $350 is pretty high for a designer mutt.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 7:37 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• no and the only kind of people who would breed these are puppymills and bybs.

AND, I've seen them for WAY higher...for thousands...for a mutt. Its sick. Making a quick buck through crossbreeding calling it "breed".
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 8:08 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Careful mixing of breeds is how we have gotten all of our current dog breeds. These people aren't just throwing any old dogs together and calling it a new breed. They are very carefully engaging in selective breeding to acheive a specific type.

I will agree that there are puppy mills who have jumped on the bandwagon of careful breeders. You should never buy a dog from a breeder that isn't on the AKC list and you should always be able to visit the breeder and see both parents of any puppies. A good breeder is going to be very selective regarding whom they will allow to buy thier puppies.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 9:45 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• This question has been here before. I have bred designer dogs in the past, and I am in no way a puppy mill. I bred two purebred dogs to create a Yorkie/Shih Tzu mix. These puppies may be considered mutts by some people (and that's fine by me) but some people prefer to call the breed a Shorkie. The breeds that are AKC today, have come from crossbreeding two (or more) purebred dogs. Breeding two differant breeds to creat a new breed has been going on for a VERY long time. (For instance, the St. Bernard was created by breeding Great Dane/Newfoundland and other breeds together).
    I think that there are some people who take this too far. The other day in the paper there were Chi-Poo-Malti-Poms (Chihuahua/Poodle/Maltese/Pomeranian cross). << Okay, give me a break.
    I see nothing wrong with breeding together two different breeds and giving it a name. This is a great way to get the best of two breeds all in one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Thats a mutt not a hybrid. Hyrid animals are a mix of wild animal such as a wolf mixed with a domestic animal. Bengals for example are hybrids
    melissam21

Answer by melissam21 at 4:34 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• It's a matter opinion, just because someone breeds designer dogs doesn't mean they are running a puppy mill. Breeders do get high prices for them so they are obviously worth the price to some people.
    LoriW

Answer by LoriW at 5:43 PM on Feb. 23, 2009