If it's supposed to be SECRET should the news be reporting it?

My hubby's military, and I am wondering when something is supposed to be "secret" should the news be reporting it? I'm not sure what harm it could do, but the headline even says "Secretly"!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,498284,00.html

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 2:20 AM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Beck, how can you sit there and judge MY opinion?  That's okay, though.

If the news media actually wanted to keep the American people informed, why was so much information about how we are REALLY doing in the war squashed?  The news media is biased, no matter how you look at it.  If anyone dares print or report on something GOOD that comes out of our military battling for another country's freedom, it is relegated to page 10 or not even a blip on the radar.  Our military personnel have suffered because of bias news reports.  Our military have suffered because of someone blabbing when they shouldn't have.

Here's a question on media bias for you.  Did you know that our military had a sniper LOCKED onto Osama bin Laden?  There was ACTIVE REASON to kill him at that time.  Oh, did you know that BILL CLINTON said no?  How's that for media bias?

But, you have your opinion and I have mine.

Gypsy98

Answer by Gypsy98 at 7:58 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Kind of an oxymoron, isnt it?
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:21 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• How do we really know whats "secret"? For all we know the US could leak info so the enemy thinks its real when its not. We really dont know anything..and we definitely don't know any secrets.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:24 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• It reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Snake has taken Homer hostage and Wiggum is telling the news media that they are sending a man around back, the cop gets shot and he's like oh shoot they must have a TV in there.

Sometimes I wonder what the media is thinking, or if they are thinking. I just hope they never hear anything about my husband's sub, where it is, where it's going or what it's doing.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 2:30 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• It is just a way to get more people to watch the story if it was that important of a secret that affected national security the news would not be able to report it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:56 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I have more faith in the US intelligence agencies than to think that Fox News or MSNBC could really crack the code. The truth is that law enforcement has always used the media to their advantage, what ever that might be. I think what ever "secrets" the media has have been declassified and released to the media by the military.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:24 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:29 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I have a feeling that Al Qaeda already knew if there were robots roaming around their caves....
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:36 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• The way I look at it, the idiots sitting at desks don't really care if our military lives or dies. As long as they get that story, you know. Put THEM in the field and see how quickly they change priorities!

My uncle, a Vietnam Marine, has always told me that there are no atheists in fox holes. Drop someone in a fox hole and they'll be praying to God in seconds.

So, drop a desk-jockey reporter in a war-zone and they will be more careful about what they report. Heck, drop the whole CONGRESS in a war-zone and maybe more will get done!
    Gypsy98

Answer by Gypsy98 at 7:41 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Gypsy how can you sit there and judge someone else's motives like that? You have no idea what those people care about. Maybe they love our country and our military just as much as you do and their reporting is their way of showing it. Keeping the American people informed is a valiant mission and correct me if I am wrong but isn't the freedom of the press something that the military is out there fighting for right now?? No one wants to put troops in harms way unnecessarily and I am sure they are working with the military one what really is classified.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:45 AM on Feb. 23, 2009