Any suggestions on how to get labor started naturally-without a doctor's help?

I've been known to have big babies- my daughter was 8lbs 3oz at two weeks early (38weeks)... I will be 37weeks tomorrow! I would really like this baby to come soon, I am afraid of needing a c-section! Please- any suggestions will help!

MotherOf3As

Asked by MotherOf3As at 3:46 AM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• A 9 lb baby isn't "huge". It is quite average. Women just think that is big because so many women are evicting their babies before they are done growing. You can give birth to any baby you can grow. The trick is to stay off your back (laying down decreases your pelvic size by 30%), avoid the epidural and push when your body tells you to, not when someone else says it is time.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 2:00 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Sex. Nipple Stimulation (a lot of women swear by it).
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 3:54 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Unless your body is ready nothing will work. Being pushed into labor when your body isn't ready increases your chance for c-section. 8 LB isn't that big for a baby. My 6 week preemie was 8lb 4oz. All I can advise you is sex and walk. be careful about too much nipple stimulation.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 3:58 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• really the above poster has summed it up. Sex can help.. because Semen carries "prolactin" ( sp) which can help soften the cervix. Nipple stimulation can bring on cramps/contractions but if your baby isn't ready, he/she isn't ready ( god knows I know I'm 40 weeks in 4 days). I have heard that when you have a contraction to try to "squat".. Also some swear by lightly bouncing on an exercise ball. ( not sure about either of those). keep up the walking.. it's bound to happen soon!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:14 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Thank you all. I have been walking and rolling/bouncing on the exercise ball. I don't feel right about nipple stimulation, and my husband refuses to have sex now since he found out I am 1cm dilated, 60% effaced, and baby is at zero station- he seriously thinks that we'll have sex and the baby will reach out and grab him- he is traumatized!
    MotherOf3As

Answer by MotherOf3As at 4:34 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• If you youtube prenatal yoga, there's this video on how to get it jumpstarted using pressure points throughout the body.. there is one on the hand, one on the ankle, and two on the back :)
    xxPaulaxx

Answer by xxPaulaxx at 5:10 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Sperm.
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 6:55 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• You won't need a c-section. 8 pounds is not a huge baby. Nothing will work if your body isn't ready. IN the past I've tried some of everything and nothing worked until it was truly time. I've decided not to try at all this pregnancy because there really isn't a point.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 8:46 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Thanks again guys for the great advice. I will try the yoga, but I won't push for anything to happen! I'll keep my weekly OB appointments at this point, and hope she isn't huge like my husband was (9lbs 1oz). This is big for me because since my first two children I have gotten into shape and lost a lot of weight. I gained 65lbs while pregnant with #1 and she was 8lbs 3oz, gained 35lbs with #2 and he was 8lbs 6oz, and so far I've gained 22lbs with this pregnancy but I am bigger than I was with both of the others- I guess we'll wait and see- but I truly appreciate all of your advice and opinions.
    MotherOf3As

Answer by MotherOf3As at 11:08 AM on Feb. 23, 2009