Does your religion teach you that it is the only way to God/salvation/heaven/nirvana/etc...?

Mine does not. Buddhism teaches that there are many paths to enlightenment, and that my way is not necessarily better than your way. It teaches that you should question your teachings and try something new if your religious/spiritual practice stops working for you or isn't taking you in the direction you want to go. It is okay to practice and believe in other religions while still being a Buddhist.

Are there any other religions that are this tolerant and inclusive of other belief systems?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:33 AM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Im a christian and have always been taught to question the bible and not to take what others teach as the truth. The reason is that God speaks to us all differently so what I read in the bible maybe interrupted differently then what you get from it. That is how is God speaks to us invidually as people. Now yes there are absolutes when it comes to heaven and hell but we are allowed to question what we are taught and take from the bible what we feel God is telling us. Like for me no where in the bible does it say I cant dance or have fun, but some take it to the extreme and dont.

Answer by gemgem at 7:41 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I'm an ecclectic pagan and never would I think my way was the only way. I think it's silly to think that one religion is the ONLY "right" religion. And a little pompous too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Nope, heathenry doesn't really care what you (non-heathens) do. Not our problem. We leave being a busybody to the other guys.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:55 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• NotPanicking: you made me lol...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:58 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• It's true, though - the Havamal warns us about gossips with nothing better to do than gossip about their "friends"

The unwise man weens all who smile
    and flatter him are his friends,
    nor notes how oft they speak him ill
    when he sits in the circle of the wise.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:09 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Another Pagan here. We are all trying to get closer to our creator, whatever our perception if Him/Her/It is. My path is MY path, it isn't necessarily someone else's. So NO, people don't have to follow the same teachings to be a better person, or ultimately be joined with the One.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 9:13 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Nope. As far as I know, Christianity is the only religion that teaches that.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 9:38 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• And yet another Pagan...there are many roads to Goddess/God/Deity
    super_mommy4

Answer by super_mommy4 at 9:39 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Nope, another pagan here...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:51 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• WORSHIP NO OTHER GODS BEFORE ME

"GOD ONLY"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Feb. 23, 2009