Question about my 8 month old daughter.

Lately she's been getting into things that she's not aloud to be messing with...So I tell her No in a demanding voice and if she does it again i smack her on the hand but she just looks at me and then keeps doing it...How can I get my daughter to start learning what no means or listening to me?

nicole0709442

Asked by nicole0709442 at 8:19 AM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just keep telling her no and try to put up things that she shouldn't be messing with so she can't get to it. I wish I knew what else to tell you. Its been a while since I had a 8th mth ols and my youngest is 2 mths...lol Good luck mama
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 8:23 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Once you've asked her not to touch it, tell her one more time ,if she continues to get in to it, pick her up and remove her from that area, offer another toy (good to keep one she likes unaccessable except for times like that). Eventually she'll learn that when you say no you mean it, of course it's a learning curve and she's only 8 mos old. My old babysitter had a kitchen cupboard that was the kids, she filled it with old plastic containers and wooden utensils, we loved it. (the rest of the cupboards were child proofed) Good luck!
    wadesmum

Answer by wadesmum at 8:32 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• tell her no several times then pick her up and move her away from it and give her one of her toys,works for my lil one
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:35 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I always tell me little guy no, then offer him something that he can play with. It usually takes his mind off the thing that he isn't allowed to play with. :)
    LadyKiki

Answer by LadyKiki at 8:49 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• The offering of another toy like mentioned above is a great idea. I used that with my kids. Getting them to stick with what you are saying at that age has more to do with there attention span and less to do with them understanding no. She will get it, but will still be curious and want to touch. It's a continual thing.
    yw8t4life

Answer by yw8t4life at 10:48 AM on Feb. 23, 2009