Is it possible to have an allergy to something in pasta,

but not get sick everytime after eating it? My daughter throws up at least once a month. Each time she throws up about 10-12 times. It's always after eating pasta, but not after each time she eats pasta. She doesn't eat it all the time. I'm taking her to the doc this afternoon. We don't know if it's got to do with pasta, or maybe she picks something up. She still sucks her thumb, a habit we can't break.

Buffie95

Asked by Buffie95 at 8:23 AM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Kids' Health

• The only thing in dry pasta is flour and water. She could have a gluten allergy, but then she would get sick after bread, juice, crackers, any gluten product. I doubt it's pasta since it's just water and flour. Do you think it could be something in the sauce?
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 8:27 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• She only likes butter and parm. But it's also with the kraft spirals mac and cheese. It's not just with one kind of pasta, or every time she eats pasta. It's frustrating. I hate when she's sick, she gets pale, with dark circles under her eyes, and she's just miserable!
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 8:32 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Hmm, not sure then. I still stick to it has nothing to do with pasta since all dried pasta no matter which brand is just flour and water. Fresh pasta contains eggs sometimes.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 8:41 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I just don't want the doc to swipe this under the rug. (army docs).
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 8:46 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• wheat. Have her tested for gluten. And yes while military doctors generally stink they will test for stuff. Took awhile but I got my son tested for HGH problems. Make an appointment and research fbefore you go.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:21 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Maybe it si too much sugar for her body to process. Maybe it depends on whatever else she ate during the day, if it had alot of carbs and then to add the pasta...... It could be surag/carb thing. GL
    4monkees

Answer by 4monkees at 1:22 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Have her blood tested for gluten antibodies. My son had unexplained vomiting. His blood tested borderline, we took him off gluten and he is 100% better.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:41 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• The PA said it looks like a virus, though she hasn't been like this for this long. I am expecting I'll be taking her back tomorrow, if she still can't hold anything down. I talked with her about the pasta thing, she thinks it's a virus, since she doesn't get sick everytime she eats it. I hate when she's sick, I feel horrible that she feels yucky.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 3:25 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• i would have her checked for celiacs disease
    kimdawn76

Answer by kimdawn76 at 2:57 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• It could be dairy since milk and cheese are also on the pasta. Food intolerance can cause a food to cause problems after a threshold has been reached. After she throws up she may avoid pasta and then gradually add the pasta (gluten and casein) and then have a problem again. I give my daughter enzymes to help with digestion of gluten and casein. Sometimes she misses an enzyme and she is fine but other times she hit her threshold and has stomach aches.
    jthor

Answer by jthor at 3:51 PM on Feb. 28, 2009