• In the Spotlight:

Foreclosures~Right or Wrong

Do you think it's completely wrong for the folks to take all the appliances (fridge, stove, built in dishwasher, sometimes hotwater heaters) when they leave and trash the place? Some say it's there right but I think it's so wrong, they owe the bank the bank doesn't owe them. SO what do you ladies think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• The only things they are allowed to take is what is theirs, they can't take any fixture they put into the home.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I say I bought my appliances with my money I should be able to keep them. The bank owns the house and I wouldn't remove the counter tops we put in or the toilet or anything like that, but the fridge, W&D, stove, those things are mine!

I have heard of people getting angry with the banks and tearing apart the walls and doing other damage to the property before they leave. It's so emotional to be foreclosed on.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:14 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Trashing the house is not okay, if you bought it with out the appliances they are yours to take.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 9:17 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• That's right goaliemom I meant to say that my house had NO appliances when we bought it.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:19 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• if you purchased thee appliances than yes you can take them. If they came with the house no and it's illegal.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:22 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Its not right or esponsible to take anything that ws not yours. Its also disgusting to allow the house to become a pig stye and trash it. So, to me, it just seems that the owners were not good candidates for home owning in the first place if they don't care. Also,a foreclosed home will bring down the market value of all the homes in that neighborhood which is a crime. I can't believe they were dumb enough to believe they can afford huge homes and huge mortgage payments. Its so easy to sit down with a realtor or real estate attorney and figure out your financial status BEFORE closing on a home. In my area, townhomes that were purchased for over $240,000. in 2004 are on the market now for $175,000. because of a few foreclosure sales last year. I They brought our home values way down because they screwed up...It sucks!
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 9:33 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Ok, this is a very sore subject for me. I do not think it is right to trash a house because you lost it. I think it just makes you look like trash. I lost my home of 15 yrs to for forecloser about 10 yrs ago. This led to my divorce, my kids having to leave the only home, school, friends they have ever known. This is such a terrible thing to go through and I would not be to harsh on people who have to go through this. I don't think I will ever recover completely from that. Look around your home and think about having to just pack and leave with the door unlocked and never be able to come back. I was very young at the time and did not know about things like chapter 13 to help me keep my home. Everybody has a story ladies...it is not always a couple just being irrisponsible. Sorry for the long winded answer...but no I would not trash a house.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:43 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• It's ignorant. The bank can still go after someone for the balance due on the loan after they sell it from the foreclosure. There's a myth that there is such a thing as a non-recourse loan, and people think they can do whatever they want. Truth is banks will go after you for the balance so long as their legal fees do not total more than what is left to pay on the loan after the sale. Reducing the property value by stripping the house or dumping rotten food in holes in the walls is just increasing the chances of the bank suing them and garnishing their checks for years to come.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:43 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• totally WRONG!!!!!!!! you take what's yours not what someone else purchased!!!
    tory_vasy

Answer by tory_vasy at 10:03 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• it is sooo wrong, and it's true you owe the bank , it doesn't owe you. Banks usually work pretty hard to avoid a forclosure. So no use destroying it because your mad. My friend used to do foreclosures and most people would trash the place. One family even used the entire house as a bathroom.. disgusting.
    Misscami71

Answer by Misscami71 at 10:20 AM on Feb. 23, 2009