Would/do you make your teen shovel for an elderly neighbor?

We have elderly neighbors on both sides of us who ask my son to shovel for them. One is on a very limited budget and will pay him a dollar or two once in a while and the other pays him each time. He only has to clear by the mailboxes and a walk way from driveway to door because both get plowed out. I think it is a duty as a good neighbor to help them out, DS of course sees it as forced labor!
Would you make your teen help when asked?

goaliemom93

Asked by goaliemom93 at 9:14 AM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Yes, I think I would. He needs to learn to be compassionate toward others and to have a willingness to help them out. I would explain to him that while he is now able to do anything he likes whenever he wants, he will not always be in that position. It sometimes happens that even very young people get injured and are permanently disabled and have to have help.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:23 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Yes, I would have him help and just explain why. I do believe it is our duty to help one another especially the elderly.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Yes, I would definitely have him do this and I would most likely help in other ways as well.
    super_mommy4

Answer by super_mommy4 at 9:26 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Yes, I think it is a good thing to ask your son or daughter to help out the elderly or disabled neighbors nearby. To help them along so they don't feel surly or like it's too much of a chore, you can go right out there and help him do it. You will be showing him that it isn't only the kids who are expected to be kind to neighbors with the grunt work - that everyone should pitch in and do their share.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:27 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Yes we do make our son help out
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:28 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• maybe he wont see as a chore if you help to ......model to him that it is an abligation to help others
    lovemlotz

Answer by lovemlotz at 9:32 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I would help but it is literally 10-15 minutes of work! BTW he is almost 16 yrs.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 9:35 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Yes I would make him do it and he doesn't need the help. Let him grumble, but he should do it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I would absolutely make my teenager do that. He can grumble all he wants, but he still needs to do it.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 10:46 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I have nicely tried to explain that to him several times, the other day I got so frustrated with his complaining longer than it would take him to get dressed and do it that I said "I hope when your old your neighbors are mean rotten kids who don't do anything to help!" He always does the shoveling they ask he just complains. Gotta love teenagersLOL

Answered at 11:23 AM on Feb. 23, 2009 by: NannyB.
    Yes, I think I would. He needs to learn to be compassionate toward others and to have a willingness to help them out. I would explain to him that while he is now able to do anything he likes whenever he wants, he will not always be in that position. It sometimes happens that even very young people get injured and are permanently disabled and have to have help.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 1:13 PM on Feb. 23, 2009