How do I get my daughter to stop scratching me?

How do I get my DD to stop scratching me? I bite her fingernails while I breastfeed her, but they just grow back so fast. She's always scratching me so hard and it hurts like crap! I've tried putting mittens on her, but she takes them right off.

ABPeterson

Asked by ABPeterson at 9:23 AM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh man, I remember those days. I just kept the nails really short and filed, and I wore long sleeves. He stopped doing it eventually.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 9:24 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Um, you bite her nails??? Odd. Try clipping them and filing them off. Babies scratch. Welcome to parenthood.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I bite my daughters off too and then file them down. I used to do it while I was nursing, but now I wait till she is asleep. Then I file them down. I have to do it about 2 times a week. She gave me a pretty good scratch on my face when she was about 4 months old. I think she is about done with the scratching...I hope. It will stop eventually.
    missbrinleysmom

Answer by missbrinleysmom at 9:38 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Try putting socks on her hands. They stay on much better.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Just want you to know it's not odd to bite your babies nails off. That's what old ladies, just in my gramma's day did. They didn't have clippers for babies. My son is the same way. I cut his nails twice a week and they are so hard and sharp. He scrapes himself too, at least I know he is healthy!!
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:01 AM on Feb. 23, 2009