how do you get baby out of your bed?

ok so i bought my son a crib a few weks ago. hes almost 4 months old and i would like to get him out of our bed before my husband comes home. he does ok like during naps and stuff but when it comes to sleeping at night he just wont do it. i tried to give him cerial to sleep through the night but thats not helping. i have like two months to do this is and im just not sure what to do! do i need to just bit the bullet and stop cold turkey letting him in our bed or sould i try weaning him? he likes to snuggle at ngiht and i think thats our problem but i dont want to put a stuffed animal in his crib b/c he might sufficate!

sandraberke

Asked by sandraberke at 9:53 AM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have never had this problem with sleeping in their own bed or room..I never let my kids sleep with us..the 1st month I would let them sleep in our room in the bassenet and after that they were in the crib and in their own room..however when we would go out to dinner or what not and it was time for bed for them and they were left with a sitter it would be a mess cause they were use to us putting them down. I would take a shirt that with me or my husband slept in, for a few days and lay it flat in the crib or hand it over the rail and it smelt like us and we never had another problem..u might need to just bite the bullet and make sure that is the only place he sleeps no where else..and I would go in and check on him, put dont pick him, sing to him, rub his back..eventually he will get it
    AProudUSMCWife

Answer by AProudUSMCWife at 1:10 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Just a litle peak into the future....my son is 5 and will not sleep all night in his bed. I liked him being so close,I felt like I was watching over him at night. NOW..5 years later he always comes into my bed at least once,depending in how many times I get up to walk him back to his bed. And now he will walk in to something he should not see.UGH!
    Don't make my mistake! lol
    The silly thing is, he wasn't my first or only child, why I did this with him I don't know. With the others I would lay down with them to breastfeed and put them back in their bed when they were finished.
    Your baby is still young, he'll get used to it. I agree though, stuffed animals in the crib at that age are dangerous.
    Good Luck~
    promom

Answer by promom at 10:05 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• i literally have the same EXACT problem. this is what I'm doing. I set up a bedtime routine and it goes like this at 6:00 we eat some baby food and then at 6:30 we go and get everything ready for bathtime (we pick up the toys and put them in the toy chest go get a towel and put it on the rack and put a diaper and a nighty on the changing area) and then we read a story then at 7:00 we go play in the tub depending on how tired my son is this can last anywhere from ten minutes to thirty minutes so at ruffly 7:30 we get out of the tub and put on our diaper and we get a little massage (because it calms them down) and then we put on our nighty then we go out to the living room and I turn the light off in the living room and cuddle him and feed him for about twenty minutes now this is going to sound dumb and counter productive and you are going to think I'm lying to you but if he falls asleep in your arms WAKE HIM UP because after
    GigantaursMommy

Answer by GigantaursMommy at 10:36 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• cont. after that twnety minutes you are going to want to lay him in his crib drowsy but AWAKE then we do a little something I like to call the bedroom dance. from here on out unless he is hysterical try not to pick him up just lay him down on his back, give him his pacy, and swadle him if that's what he likes but leave him in the crib. Now i am not saying let him CIO by all means if he is crying go in there and sooth him but if he is tired after a little while (and it may seem like all you are doing is running back into that room every few seconds) he WILL go to sleep eventually... and just stay strong in the middle of the night don't bring him into bed with you just do the same little bed time dance and he'll eventually understand that the crib is where he sleeps.
    GigantaursMommy

Answer by GigantaursMommy at 10:40 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• so i just realized i meant roughly NOT ruffly
    GigantaursMommy

Answer by GigantaursMommy at 10:41 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I always waited until my kids were older. All 5 have co-slept with me. The move at around 2 with no problem. I always start with moving them to a bed in my room, a crib in your case. Maybe try that since you need him out so fast?
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 4:55 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• we have the same situation. he always sleeps with ever since he can remember. he's now 4 and he wont sleep on his own bed. i just let him. i don't actually force him out of my bed. we just talk and talk about it. ok, maybe i'll try again when he's 5 next year. ;)
    angel_caramel

Answer by angel_caramel at 8:37 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Hey gf, My mom told me to put him in his room at bedtime. He is going to cry and scream and pitch a fit. Ignore the noise. Make sure you have a nightlight in the bedroom, he could be scared of the dark. No matter how much he cries he will go to sleep. In might help to do about twenty minutes of dancing, so that he is so tired, he will fall fast asleep. When he wakes up crying, sing the elmo song, La la lalal elmo song, im sure you've heard of it. calm him down and put him righ back in his crib. He will probably cry himself to sleep for a little while. You have to be srong, and I know how much its gonna hurt you to hear that baby cry but your gonna have to deal with it. Just listen to how he is cying. As a mom you can tell what your baby need by the way he is crying. Above all STAY CONSISTANT. Dont think well maybe for just one night. I Have been getting to know you are a very strong woman. good luck my bf!
    cyndi178

Answer by cyndi178 at 11:50 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• im sorry but do it NOW.lol my daughter stayed into out bed till age 2 1/2 and finally got outta bed wen my 2nd child was born,excatly that month..my 4 mo old now sleeps in her crib and so far (knock on wood) shes not in our bed,i wish i wud have gotten our oldest outta our bed before she cude get up n come to our bed and cry mommy to me.advice: give her a warm bath with baby lavendar soap and make sure she takes a short nap-so if she has to cry herself to sleep-she will tire herself out,good luck! keep me updated!
    mamacita4two

Answer by mamacita4two at 3:38 AM on Mar. 9, 2009