Obama extends aid to Katrina victims up to 6 additional months...wtf?

How, after 3 1/2 years is it even remotely acceptable to allow these "victims" to remain in government paid housing? $1.5 billion dollars - our tax money - has been handed out to the region. Why more? After 3 1/2 years why do we still have to pay for these free loaders?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I swear some people act like Katrina was the only natural disaster to ever strike the earth. Every year there are tornadoes and hurricanes and fires and floods. And every single one of them has victims who have to do what it takes to get their lives back on track. There are people who have had their entire towns wiped out by tornadoes more recently than Katrina and have moved on with their lives in less time.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:36 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• How are they just free loaders???????
    Link to your story,please.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• After 3 1/2 years, they are still living off the government, thus freeloading!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I agree I would like to see a link, I have not heard that. I can see how some of them might still need some help. THEY LOST IT ALL. EVERYTHING was gone!! It has taken a great deal of time to get things back to where they are now....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• wow! I suppose if something happened to your home that you would deny any assistance. That is just plain ignorant.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 10:07 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• First....I am not a free loader i have worked all my life and bought my house....We didn't get the help from my insurance company like they were suppose too. Secondly i never lived in gov't housing i had friends who took us in...And it my tax money too. So DO NOT JUDGE everyone one the same have you actually talked to anyone from there..Yes... some people took advantage AND so did the big companies who have yet to do the JOB they were paid to do....So why aren't you complaining about them........

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I'd like to see everything you own get swept away, right out from under you, losing family members and friends, trying to get a job when everyone is already getting laid off and businesses are going under, then see if you pick yourself up in just 3.5 years...
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 10:18 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• OP HERE>>>I live in Galveston Texas, everything I own did get swept away. From Hurricane Ike. We aren't living in any government housing, we camped out and are working on our house as we speak. We lost everything. We are picking ourselves up, we have four children and we aren't living off of handouts! 3 1/2 years are mooochers. Katrina ripped across Alabama, Mississippi and you don't hear of people in those areas boohooing and still demanding handouts! Only in the New Orleans area. Galveston is still destroyed, we still have boats in the roads, damage that is devastating, whole islands wiped out, now what? Obviously those of you who are defending are those of you who are living off the government still. 3 1/2 years later, free rent!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Oh, NotPanicking, I agree 100%! Why is it only that New Orleans region crying for additional help? Those who are welfare recipients beforehand and still demand government to pay for and fix it all?

And OP, my hubby went down to Texas City and the Galveston area for clean up and rebuild work. He said that he didn't see not one "FEMA city" there. Not one. He said it is totally destroyed and devastated. A friend of ours lives in that area as well, they are rebuilding, living in a pop up trailer in their driveway. We lived in North Carolina and had damage from hurricanes, the flood, and lived in Florida during hurricanes, my husband went through Hurricane Andrew......it is ONLY these New Orleans Katrina victims crying for more!!  And we wonder why our economy is tanking...

blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 10:43 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Okay, once again, to all the people that DO NOT listen to anything said before... you are not seeing any of Obama's NEW STUFF.. what you are seeing is BUSH's stuff right now. OBAMA cannot make any decisions without a million supporters... wisen up people for the love of GOD.... You will not see any major changes for about four years... anything happening right now is still BUSH... this has had to been in the works long before OBAMA... OMG... seriously???
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Feb. 23, 2009